Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Landau alum riveted boat that has several minor leaks where the rivets join the hull to the inner frame. What is the best, easiest way to plug the leaks, would a two part epoxy work? any suggestions, thanks in advance. Bigworm

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Neighbor of mine used the deck product from Home Depot on a small Jon boat. He did it on the outside? Duh? I would use it or Linex on the inside

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I agree with the silicone. I've had them welded before and a crack usually develops next to the weld in a short time. The silicone flexes and holds up a year or more, depending on circumstances. Any kind of stiff epoxy will crack loose from stress. Pounding on waves and bouncing around on a trailer is usually the cause.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a 1968 14' aluminum Smoker Craft. I need to replace a lot of rivets. The correct rivets are "Closed End" blind rivets. Drill out the rivets that leak. and re-rivet with closed end rivets. I have just received 100 pieces of each - 1/8" / 3'16" /and 1/4"... Not sure what size you need but probably 3/16".... Where are you located ? I am in Virginia Beach, VA I can probably supply you with what you need to do the job..... Don

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, I went with the G-Flex from West Marine; it seems to have worked. I took her out this weekend and only saw one leak. Going Croaker fishing this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it did.
Bigworm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had many leaky riveted aluminum boats as a kid best product I found was Sikaflex and I used many different types just make sure the surface is really clean. Hard part is if it's leaking through a rivet that's though the hull and a rib so the only way you can get to it is from the outside. Found once they leak they always leak you can stop it for a while but they comes back. Kind of nice in the summer when it's warm keeps the feet cool and a quick spin with the plug out and the water drains then back to the fishing hole for another hour lol then repeat again.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,150 Posts
What is the best, easiest way to plug the leaks, Bigworm
The very best way is to replace the leaking rivets with new solid rivets. Very easy to do if you can access the inside of the hull. If not, cover the outside of the leaking rivet hole with a flexible caulk or 3M Fast Cure 5200.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts