Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by freezes over, I mean Round Bay all the way across. To start the bidding, I'll say MLK Day.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Not long, Goose, with a forecast like this...

Thursday
Mostly cloudy. Snow in the morning. Total snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Highs around 12. North winds 5 to 10 mph...becoming northwest around 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 80 percent.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear. Colder with lows around 10 below. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill values as low as 17 below.

Friday
Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Cold with highs around 9 above. Southwest winds around 5 mph... becoming west in the afternoon. Wind chill values as low as 19 below.

·
Registered
151 Posts
uhh - ours is cold, but that's not our forecast, thank goodness.

Here is ours:

Overnight: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Southwest wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thursday: A slight chance of flurries before noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 16 and 22 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14. Northwest wind between 10 and 14 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 22. West wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 10. West wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 29.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.

M.L.King Day: Partly sunny, with a high near 33.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

can't spot the wind window to get the skim over - once that happens the ice accrual will be fast.
I'm gonna guess that it drops out at least a while friday night - and that saturday we see ice on the river. wont be skatable yet - I haven't see that in years, but I do remember skating from linstead to st helenas in 1968/69. we could get those conditions by mid next week, but I don't see myself doing that again - I'm older and more cautious.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you'll never get me on the ice here no matter how cold it gets. I was scared to death following my freinds onto the 1-foot-thick ice of Lake Erie, or driving in the car with my parents onto the 2-foot thick ice of Lake St. Claire to watch snowmobile races and then stop at the local Perch restaurant (yes, they actually had/have those...with a parking lot on the ice). Combine saltwater, tides and the milder temps here, and I'm not setting foot on the stuff.

I do remember, though, my first winter in Ben Oaks ('82), it froze enough for kids to play ice hocky in the middle of the River. That lasted only a few days before the ice became too dangerous and we all watched the nets slowly sink. As far as I know, the metal frames are still out there.

On a more somber note, one of my high school friends drowned in Round Bay during the winter. I wasn't ice related (he was in a canoe), but it underscores the danger of being on the water during winter.

P.S.: John Page -- maybe you can tell us about the legendary ice skating commute from Severna Park to CBF in Annapolis, via the Severn!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I was on the E-Bay yesterday and I was suprised to see absolutely no skim ice anywhere, even on the creek heads. Like codry said it's gonna take the wind to fall out to get some skim and once that happens it acrues fast from there. I'm hoping for it since when it freezes thing become VERY ducky.

-E

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Goose,

My bet is that we will all wake up Saturday morning to Round Bay frozen all the way across. It will break up as soon as the wind picks up but my guess is at least a solid skim on Saturday morning.

Mark

·
Registered
151 Posts
Since you all like saturday so much, I'm changing my bet. Lookin now like its gonna blow all night, and drop out around 1 pm tomorrow. Should still be cold enough to start to skim then, but I thin sunday morning will be when we see cross river ice.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Damn... just got back in town... just got my new "freeze-proof - water-proof camera" and the darn ice moves in...

I wonder if Annapolis Seafood has any whole pickerel for sale

1 - 11 of 11 Posts