Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Hampton Roads area it seems lawmakers and most citizens would rather spend more money to build bigger roads, tunnels, and bridges. I'm suggesting they take that same money and re-invest in our inner city schools so folks can live and work there knowing their kids can get a good education. I mean, most people like me live in the burbs for better schools and a since of safety, right? Who likes commuting up to an hour each way?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I think we should have both, and a $1,000 bonus on all of our tax returns, and while we are at it lets fund the invasion and rebuilding and reformation of say five or six more unfriendly nations. It isn't like we have to pay for it.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
It costs me ~$4500 for each elementary school child and ~$7.5k for my high schooler/ year for private school. No matter how you do the math, it is significantly less/child than most of the higher failing states. And their educatons is as good or better than anything MD public schools can offer.

Loo at the higher spenders (<10k/yr.) and tell me what party runs those states. Coincidence? If there is a correlation between money and education it is inverse.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
It costs me ~$4500 for each elementary school child and ~$7.5k for my high schooler/ year for private school. No matter how you do the math, it is significantly less/child than most of the higher failing states. And their educatons is as good or better than anything MD public schools can offer.

Loo at the higher spenders (<10k/yr.) and tell me what party runs those states. Coincidence? If there is a correlation between money and education it is inverse.
how do you Loo? :D

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
It's not about how much money is spent, it's how it is spent that matters. A bloated administration, metal detectors, "School Resource Officers" (Cops), day care for the children of 14 year olds, and a disproportionate number of "special needs" kids (e.g., "crack babies") in a district all suck up valuable resources with little return in terms of educational improvement. If I could be assured that increased funding would go directly to academic improvements, I'd be all for it.

My observation tells me that parental involvement in academics is what makes the difference. It's nice when the parents show up for the basketball game, but they have to show up for the spelling bee and the science fair too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've said it on here before, school vouchers. It will get parents more involved and make the public schools improve, that or lose out to a booming private school sector. Which is probably a good thing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My daughter attended a private school and what a difference it was. I'd say that the teachers themself are not any better than public but they could fire any teacher not up to their standards. I think after about 3 or 5 years its tuff to fire a public school teacher as they are protected by the union. Private schools do not have to deal with disciplin issues which is one of the biggest problems in our public schools. They also have to watch waistful spending to keep things affordable to keep up attendence. It was a very heavy burden on my family with tuition around 8,500 but it was worth ever penny we spent. For just a simple example of a difference. Went to a Friday night football game. The field had no fense (paying to enter was on an honor system) little kids able to run around and play safley, no metal detectors, it was like stepping back in time. If you have children and think private school is priced out of reach I still recomend going to one just to see the difference. Most have financial help and will do what they can to provide financial assisstence. My mother had over thirty years in public schools but retired before all of these problems started to surface. She has had 3 grandchildren (one was my daughter) attend private school and it upsets her to see what has become of our public schools as she still has many of friends who work in the school systems. She takes no blame for my bad spelling.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I've said it on here before, school vouchers. It will get parents more involved and make the public schools improve, that or lose out to a booming private school sector. Which is probably a good thing.
Look out LinMar, you opened yourself up for a barrage of "Church and State separation" cries from the pseudo-centrists.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Private schools go back to parental involvement. You as a parent care so much that you are willling to pay for a good education. Because you are paying you expect a "return" on your investment. Public schools are free. . . . something about getting what you pay for . . . When was the last time anyone got something good for free?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Private schools go back to parental involvement. You as a parent care so much that you are willling to pay for a good education. Because you are paying you expect a "return" on your investment. Public schools are free. . . . something about getting what you pay for . . . When was the last time anyone got something good for free?
Best education I ever got was in the US Army, and they paid me...

Train up your kids, have expectations, and work as hard at them as you expect them to work...Public, private, it doesn't matter, they'll be fine...

Get in the game, don't expect a teacher to take up your slack.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Who's your favorite Chickenhawk, Chum?

FDR
Abe Lincoln
Thomas Jefferson
Ben Franklin
James Madison
John Adams
Thomas Paine

1 - 20 of 37 Posts