Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother bought me a bait casting reel last Christmas ('07), and I used it once during the summer. She bought it from Ebay from Australia- I didnt have a whole lot of hope for it when she told me that she got it for like $16, but I took it out, paired it with a Rhino baitcasting reel that I got on clearance at Sports Authority for like $5 and fished with it, and it did ok... but like I said, I only used it once, and it was rinsed, and washed prior to being stored in the cabin of my boat for the remainder of the season. When I closed my boat up for the season, I removed all my gear to store in the house for the winter. And as I was performing my annual maintenance on my gear last night, and here is what I had to contend with.
Prior to getting to the internals, I noticed that the drag was not operating properly... so when I pulled the handle, and drag knob, here is what it looked like-

Notice the rust at the crank/drag spindle

Crank bearing covered in rust

Crank gear and spindle rusted as well

Notice accumulated salt inside the housing (no seal on reel housing)- also notice the patina on the levelwind

Last but not least, the dry-rotted O-ring on the adjustment knob.

I got it cleaned up as best I could (very difficult to get parts out... some I had to oil/grease to even remove them), and its running smoothly again, but I dont have a lot of hope to use this reel in the future- its missing so many things that my nicer reels have, and not to mention that there is no way to prevent water from becoming trapped in the housing (causing rust, and allowing for accumulated salt deposit).

Long story short guys, be careful buying cheap reels. I would have been very upset to have lost a fish due to craftsmanship like this....

On the lighter side, I grabbed a new baitcaster yesterday (Shimano Tekota paired with a Teramar rod-sweet setup! :D:D:D)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey twisk....that reel looks like hell....but that sure is one pretty dog:yes:give that mutt a mohawk:D
Yeah- shes a great dog too... but I think I will let her keep her hair. If I were to give her a mowhawk, I would have to then move on to tattoos, and call her Charlie. And I dont need a little Charlie running around the house sniffing crotches!:D:D:D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah- shes a great dog too... but I think I will let her keep her hair. If I were to give her a mowhawk, I would have to then move on to tattoos, and call her Charlie. And I dont need a little Charlie running around the house sniffing crotches!:D:D:D
Thats the best reply I've seen on here in a while. Don't even try to picture that in your mind. :thumbup::D:D

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Tim,

When it worked, did it turn the wrong way like their toilets?

·
Banned
859 Posts
looks like a Penn 930 knock off. when i used to store rods in my walkaround, i had the same problem w/ cheapies. i guess it stays humid in the cabin from lil venting or bilge water.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike- What... you dont?!?!:D:D
Martin- It wouldnt have surprised me- this thing is a real POS
Capn Buckster- Yeah- I care for my rods the same way... and I dont have these problems with my higher quality equipment- so it must be a quality issue.

Since starting this thread- I had to make some adjustments/repairs to a friend's Okuma trolling reel, and there are a lot of things with that reel that I didnt like too (T20L). Bad clicker design, plastic housing, very sensitive hardware (brittle, and easily stripped) and not very serviceable... There are a couple things I do like about that reel, but doubt that I will ever buy one based on what I have seen...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reels ??

I just got into trolling this year - having picked up 4 - 330GTis from a widow early in the fall.

I thought they were good trolling reels until I went out with a friend who had a couple of the Okuma T20L reels. They were so much smoother then the 330s and felt like they were stronger.

I was thinking of picking a couple up this spring during the fishing shows, but your comments are making me re-think.

Anyone else have suggestions/comments on this reel - or others?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Prober-
Im no reel repair pro, I just am very diligent about my annual maintenance, and general care of my reels, so Ive been inside quite a few reels- and the Okuma that I was inside of didnt impress me- couple that with the fact that I just saw an ad for them for $113 each, I would spend a few more and get a Penn Senator (and most of the time, you can get them paired with a rod for about the same price as just the Okuma reel). I personally have the following in my trolling arsenal- some 330GTIs (star drag), older Penn 210, and 209 (210 is one of my all time favorite reels), Penn senators 113 and 114, a Mitchell (wouldnt suggest anyone get one... another reel that I dont like, but it has yet to completely fail me), and a Pfleuger (which has actually been a pleasant surprise, no issues, but does seem to need to be maintained a little more ofen, and theres a little issue with quality, but it was a freebie, and I have been pleased so far).

·
Banned
859 Posts
I just got into trolling this year - having picked up 4 - 330GTis from a widow early in the fall.

I thought they were good trolling reels until I went out with a friend who had a couple of the Okuma T20L reels. They were so much smoother then the 330s and felt like they were stronger.

I was thinking of picking a couple up this spring during the fishing shows, but your comments are making me re-think.

Anyone else have suggestions/comments on this reel - or others?
Thanks!
Penn 113H

1 - 15 of 15 Posts