Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this email today...this has been a wide spread scam in the guides world.
You set up the trip and lodging and the dude over supposedly over pays with a credit card and wants you to send him the overage

I am Mr Tony Davidson from London United Kingdom.I got to find your Hunting and Charter very lovely and also myself and my group of friends will love to Lodge at your Inn during the course of our stay in and also enjoying the hunting trips.
Kindly confirm if you have three rooms Available from 26nd to 31th April 2007 so that i can immediately with my credit card to secure the rooms and also make the reservation for the hunting and hunting equipments there at that time Because i do believe that you also have Inns and rooms which we can Lodge in.

Please get back to me if there is vacancy so that i will pay
immedaitely with my credit cards for the days to be blocked.
I await your email.
Your prompt response will be appreciated.
Regards,
Tony Davidson
+447024016588

·
Registered
783 Posts
Rick,

I was approached by a similar scam when I was selling my Wellcraft last year. These are well publicised scams that have made the rounds with car sales and any other transactions and they almost always originate from overseas.

A word to the wise - NEVER send overpayments back to the originator. If someone wants to pay me more than what I am asking for a product or service - I consider the extra a TIP! A "thank-you very much" for being such a great person. :D

Joe
His Doghouse Too

·
Registered
574 Posts
April 31, eh?

Wow, it appears that Mr. Davidson will be available on April 31. Surely nobody else has booked that date, so why not jump on that?

Bloody damned illiterate thieves. It's been a lot of fun watching NBC's Chris Hansen making them sweat (and break out into a full gallop running from the cameras) on NBC's "To Catch a Con Man". It's hard to believe there are thousands and thousands of people who get taken in by these scams, but obviously there are, given that there are thousands of the scammers working every day trying to steal their money. They may be a sorry lot, but they wouldn't be doing it if it were not sucessful.

Foy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rick, I run the charterboat, Sellfish out of Hampton . Last summer I recieved an email from someone supposedly in London, reguesting information on a trip for he and his family, while they were to be in the states on vacation. We agreed on a date and set up the arrangements for a deposit. Several weeks later he emailed me that his son had taken ill and he wanted to change the dates ,we corresponded several more times over the next month ,as he was telling me about his sons improvement and they wanted to fish on their trip in the fall . Three days were reserved ,two to fish and one to tour Hpt. Rds. harbor. He asked for suggestions on lodging , which I gave him. Several days passed and I recieved an email that the deposit had been fedex to me . The following mornig I recieved an email, that I was to deposit the cashiers check . Take the full charter fee and pay for his lodging for 3 nights and wire the balance of the money to his business agent in Texas. I recieved a cashiers check for $6000, it had been written from a bank in Texas. Carried it to my bank and deposited it to see if it was any good. Had made my bank aware of what was happening. The bank finally got in contact with the Texas bank and found out the checks had been stolen. The bank got the FBI involved and they were not really interested due to the small amount of the check and that the scam was being run from Guyana. This person had been operating under the name of Max, several days later I got an email and telephone call, asking why the balance of his money had not been sent. When I (very politely) explained the check was no good , he had the nerve to tell me that there had been a mistake and he would be back in touch. I had several other email reguests for information that looked very similar and asked them to call so Icould speak with them , never heard anymore. It is hard enough to worry about regulations and rising cost, then you have someone guy trying to rip you off. Just beware!!
Jerryo

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Heard of this one last year. I would love to get a hold of one of those guys. Unlike Chris Hansen, I'd crush their head with some sort of blunt object. Me and members of my family were identity thefted through mail fraud a few years back. These people can destroy your lives financially and get out of it with a slap on the wrist because it isn't violent and jails are crowded. We spent over 3 years trying to get our credit cleared up as the person who did it spent 9 months in jail and on 2 years on probation, and that punishment only came because they were convicted of tampering with mail which is a federal offense. They eventually got id's with our names on them, credit cards, bought a new car, several thousand dollars a week of living lavishly- expensive restraunts, huge bar tabs, vacations, etc... all on our credit. Of course they were easily caught, it didnt cost us much money, and we noticed it very early, tons of money was spent outside of us while they built a case and our credit was totally screwed for some time. If it were up to me, I'd have the sorry bastards guillotined.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The FBI also told me that they were very busy with mail fraud & identity theft. Ifeel very lucky in my case all that happened to me was .I have a copy of a bad $6000 cashiers check

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I sure hate those scammers- there are local ones too. I used to go home depot but now I go to lowes......heres why :::

A "heads up" for you and any of your friends who may be regular Home Depot customers.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you.

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 18 or 19-year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.

They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts.

It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot.

You agree and they get in the back seat.

On the way, they start doing each other.

Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and does you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen March 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th

·
Registered
456 Posts
A little off topic but I have had identity theft twice after ordering things online from supposed secure websites from various fishing tackle suppliers. Be careful about using your credit card on the net even on "Secure" sites.

Ben

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I sure hate those scammers- there are local ones too. I used to go home depot but now I go to lowes......heres why :::

A "heads up" for you and any of your friends who may be regular Home Depot customers.

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you.

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 18 or 19-year-old girls come over to your car as you are packing your shopping items into the trunk.

They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts.

It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you for a ride to another Home Depot.

You agree and they get in the back seat.

On the way, they start doing each other.

Then one of them climbs over into the front seat and does you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen March 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th

1 - 12 of 12 Posts