Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off at the Jackspot with about 4 other boats looking for BFT on Saturay. It was completely devoid of life and water temp of 51.5, I decided just to troll east north east towards the Hambone looking for warmer water.

Had fellow TF'r Sewelljx (john) with me, we trolled until noon, when we decided to run in to a wreck and try for rock or seabass, while running, about 5 miles east of the jackspot, I saw 2-3 big BFT rolling on the surface, we stopped and tried to Jig on them, we marked them under the boat, but wouldn't hit a jig.

We decided to resume the troll in the area to raise them and it payed off, about 20 mins later the mother load of BFt surfaced, birds everywhere, hundreds of BFT crashing the surface...

Right off the bat we hooked a 45" about 50-60 lbs on right flat line, pink ilander sailure over medium ballyhoo, he gave us a good 20 min fight, by the time we got re-rigged, the birds where gone, but not for long, we found the school again and chased them for the next hour... they are moving south FAST...we had to run at least 15kts, get in front of them and cross their path on the troll...they would go down and pop up 1/4 mile south, they were all schoolie size on the surface, I'm sure there were some big guys mixed in, but nothing for the over 47" for us,

Of course my camera died offshore, so my only picture is today when I already cored him out,

We had to leave them biting because of the ominous clouds and winds building and we were 30.5 miles out of OC and the sun was going down,

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh Gawd, you are killing me!!! From your report it sounds like we may have headed in by then, we gave it up around 1:00. If we'd heard that call, you can bet we'd have come-a-running!!!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know we just got lucky, I called several times to anyone and got no response, I Bet they'll be in VA beach by this weekend,

Oh Gawd, you are killing me!!! From your report it sounds like we may have headed in by then, we gave it up around 1:00. If we'd heard that call, you can bet we'd have come-a-running!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts