Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every week, I watch the weather to try and plan for the weekend. If it looks fishable, I then try to get a crew together (not too many and not too few). It is a chore that I skipped this past weekend. I was going fishing for bluefish with or without company. It worked out fine. Some of my regular fishing buddies started to contact me, "um, if you are going and have room, I'll join you". The last to call me was Charles Southall on Friday night, "Are you fishing this weekend?". I picked Charles up one the way to the boat Saturday morning. It happened to be his Birthday. I asked him if I was supposed to get him back in time for a birthday dinner. He said that they had done that early, the day before, so he could go fishing on his birthday. Good planning.

We got out to the Triangle Wrecks about 7 AM and shortly Charles was hooked up to our first bluefish. It was a beast of a fish. Charles had a total of 5 different citations for the year. A bluefish citation would give him his sixth and earn him an Expert Angler Award for the year. He had said that if the fish was 36 inches (minimum length for a release citation) that he was going to release it. When we got his fish in the boat I said that you are not going to release that thing! Back at the dock, it weighed in at 21 pounds 8 ounces giving Charles the largest bluefish weighed in Virginia this year, at least for now. It also earned him his Expert Angler Award. Charles said that was a mighty fine birthday present.

Fishing was not red hot. We jigged up some keeper sea bass and jigged and trolled a total of 7 bluefish. We had other bites but we landed 7. Everyone of them was a citation and each angler on board registered at least one citation. The smallest, weighed 16.5 on the boat scale. We kept 2 fish other than Charles'. They each weighed in at 19 pounds 8 ounces. Charles is not counting his chickens. He has led the state in bluefish before only to have it beaten on New Year's Eve by somebody trolling for rockfish. A 21-8 would win most any year but we will see what happens over the next month and a half. My other anglers were Ric Burnley, Danny Forehand, and Steve Martin.

On Sunday, I really did not get a crew. I wanted to get my wife, Tricia, out there and that was really up in the air. One of our kids was sick (but getting better), there is church and then there is football. My wife is a football nut (for some strange reason, she is a big Vikings fan. I do not know why she does not pull for a good team like the Redskins!). We got it all worked out and I got her out there. It was a much prettier day than Saturday. The bluefish did not want to play. We trolled around for 4 hours without a bite. She gave up her football for this. One of our club members, Rick Wineman, managed to jig a couple early so it gave us enough hope to stay in the area but it was real slow. Later, Rick got into them better and called us over. We trolled over to him and picked up a couple, thanks Rick! A happy wife is an important thing! It really turned on in the afternoon. We switched from trolling and joined Rick jigging those things. It was a blast. Every fish was big. Tricia said that she had enough after 9 of them. She weighed in two at 19-8 and 19-4. On top of catching multiple citation bluefish, she was able to listen to her Vikings on the satellite radio. Some how, they managed to win by one point. Tricia had a good day.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Good stuff Ken great report and pics. Nice working with you out there. Happy B-Day to the Mrs. Mine was last Sunday Nov. 2nd

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Not my Birthday but thats why I talked Billy into taking a ride out there Saturday......First fish of the day gave me my 6th for the year.........Now Billy has a new place to fish closer to shore !

Good work to all onboard~

·
Registered
767 Posts
those look like Nantucket Blues! Keep your fingers away from those chops!

Nice work, off VA Beach I assume?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Great report as usual Ken.

I was out there Sunday on Prior Engagement...Mikes 28 Albemarle, we got 9 releases likewise but no bruisers all of ours were 36-38+.

Keith
24 Albemarle
Here We Go

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those look like Nantucket Blues! Keep your fingers away from those chops!

Nice work, off VA Beach I assume?
Yes, off of Virginia.

While we were out there we saw Team ******* hook their bluefin. They did a good job turning and getting on that fish. After it broke off, they jokingly asked me to keep an eye out for a red/white stretch. Sure enough, later that afternoon, there it was floating with about 6 foot of leader still attached. We scooped it up and took it back to them. Later, we found another Stretch floating. Capt. Craig Paige called me this morning and said that the second Stretch is his. His charter weighed in one bluefish a touch over 20 pounds, 7 citation blues total and they got a citation sea bass.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congrats on the trip Ken and crew!! Guess we will have to watch for Mr. Charles on an upcoming magazine cover :D:D Pretty work guys and congrats to everybody. Good job on the expert award Charles!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Good job Ken and crew. We were out there Sat too taking a whoopin. We were on a piece near the dive boat when you were talking to him. Ended up running North and found some nice Seabass and Flounder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts