Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen the big blues around this year? I was out fishing in my jon boat and my buddy's line went screaming. Broke off after first couple runs. Throw back in again... another screaming run... this one on 30lb flouro and he got it almost to the net... Was a 30 inch or so blue. Could not believe my eyes. Threw back in again 31 inch red... with a bluefish equal in size chasing it and trying to steal jig out of the drums mouth. ended up losing three blues to cut offs and boating 15 red drum 29 1/2 to 32 inches.... Anyone else seen monster blues? This was in the bay in shallow water. This all took place in about 45 minutes then it shut off.

·
Registered
374 Posts
They were also tearing them up the 1st two weeks of May at Cape Henlopen State Park in DE as they made a run through there. Maybe they bypassed the bay for the most part?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Crying the blues

Big blues used to be common at the mouth of the bay,mixed with rockfish. 20 years ago. I caught them at the Light tower, hugging the bottom as late as 15 years ago and at the Triangles around the same time, again, near the bottom. The surface action that makes them common further north and in NC,doesnt happen here that I know of. Acres of surfacing blues are a sight to see.

But in the last decade, theyve been tough to find anywhere, much less in shore. I think theyre still on the wrecks, but few fish for them and they dont stay long. I can only hope thats a good sign. Nobody knows why they dont stop by anymore, but I suspect its the usual culprits - lack of bait/water quality. I dont see anything happening to change any of that so be greatful you found a few.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Yep, not enough forage left in bay for good sized fish..
I remember seeing 15-20 acres of blues feeding in bay off the mouth of Rapp river..

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Sounds like fun... nice class of Reds too! There used to be a time when I'd always have a pack of steel leaders in my tackle bag. Well, back then it was usually a tackle BOX.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yep, just like big blues, the tackle box is hard to find on the water--at least one that will last more than 4 months....

Gotta find the old ones at yard sales.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts