Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Bull Red Drum on my Jet Ski today. Caught three up to 50 inches off of Virginia Beach, all on this Jig that Billy Gorham of Bowed Up Lures gave me last year. Saw a couple schools of several hundred Drum on the surface. Lost one Cobia, a great couple of hours!

I could not get a good shot of the schools of fish, the gold shadows are Drum.

Saw a bunch of Dolphin on the way in.

Here is a very recently born Baby black Dolphin I saw.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Awesome, sounds like the Drum bite has been epic. I have heard about these schools in the past but have never seen one and of course I have been boatless this week! Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I saw a large school of drum near the concrete ships some forty years ago . The water is brown--by the time I gathered myself and got tackle ready I lost them...but another boat "Donnie Boy", The Topping boys (now all dead) out of Hampton would seek them out and cast to them> I was informed that they caught 35 Red drum one day casting plugs and jigs.

It is awesome to see any fish in large schools. We use to spot schools the size of an acre of Bluefin Tuna off Va Beash...troll through them and five lines go down; They are not there any more. Thank goodness the Reds are flourishing.

It is just as impressive to see those schools of spadefish around the buoys and light tower--

Huge schools of stripers with gannets diving is also a sight to be remembered---maybe not repeated--but remembered.

My 27 year year old grandson reminded me this week of the great times he had fishing with me 20 years ago---some trips will never leave his memory--ie those where we rode up to a buoy and schools of mah- mahi would meet us , in clear water. We caught many off the stern , sight casting with squid strips. That was unforgettable. Maybe we will do it again if I live long enough.

Jared fished with me for stripers, spadefish , tuna, drum, flounder, mahi mahi, and marlin. I have many photos to freshen our memory. Wonderful memories for Grandpa and for a maturing young man. .

Dr. Bob Allen, Hampton VA

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Awesome, sounds like the Drum bite has been epic. I have heard about these schools in the past but have never seen one and of course I have been boatless this week! Thanks for the report.
Mike, I just caught the boatless part. Hope it is only for a week. NO BS- If your ever in need to get out, The least I could do is get you on the water. ( I could use the experiance) (did cross path with drum one day this week, wasn't ready for them)
Also, few of us get together and fish the big boat 1-2 times a week, as HO's, helps "keep us on the fish".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts