Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll Start by wishing everybody a Happy Newyear!!!!! I Think ALL for the advise i've read on the boards ,If not i would have never decided to try eel fishing---THANK GOD i did the last 3 nights of the season.AWSOME NIGHTS-we had fish breaking 80ib leaders but did still manage to boat several cow citations.Dont ask how can a fish break an 80lb leader with the drag set properly-Hey i seen it happen with my own eyes and am still amazed as i write this post-----WEW MONSTERS.....1st cit. 51lb,51in 2nd cit.50lb,49in 3rd cit,42lb,47in... and these where the small fish that we boated ,,,guess to break the state record i need to upgrade to 120lb leader or BIGGER..LOL WISH ALL LUCK THIS SPRING!!!!

Brian

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, what part of the Potomac? Yopu don't have to give a honey hole but just a general lower Potomac location would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We caught the fish drifting the CHANNEL EDGE.A GOOD depth sounder helps to locate good marks to start your drift.We started our search from st.clemens to coles pt. . And your right i'd never give up my exact spot---Hey but theres a start

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks for the report. You've made me decide to try eeling next fall season.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
AWESOME FISH / End of season fireworks!

To keep'em from balling up, I hook'em through the lips, then SMACK the heck out of'em against the gunnal... settles'em right down.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
AWESOME FISH / End of season fireworks!

To keep'em from balling up, I hook'em through the lips, then SMACK the heck out of'em against the gunnal... settles'em right down.
That's exactly what I do when I hook one while fishing in the creeks!! Ain't it amazing how getting it's head slammed into the side of a boat at 100 mph will relax the little guys? :wacko:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got to ask. Are you allowed to use eels in the potomac? I thought the potomac was maryland water. If we are I'm eeling next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr. Wine , that is a very impressive catch.... The fish that broke you off sound even better. I`d be careful with the reporting , you`ll have EELING Nation in the lower Potomac right along side you next season. If you want to see first hand what I mean , come to the lower bay this coming season .

·
Registered
153 Posts
If I am correct that portion of the Potomac is in Maryland waters, I hope you do not get caught by DNR. eeling is illegal in Maryland waters.

Here is what i got off the DNR home page, line item number 5

IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:
5. for a person to use eel as bait except during the recreational summer striped bass season. (I did not see anything for the Fall season)

This is from the Potomac River Fisheries Commission

Striped Bass (Rockfish) Spring Season Summer/Fall Season
Season Open: April 18 through May 15 May 16 through December 31
Open Area: Below Harry W. Nice Bridge (Rt. 301) Below Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95)
Size Limit: 28” minimum 18” min. w/ only 1 over 28”
Possession Limit: 1 per person 2 per person
Restrictions: No high-grading allowed
Bait Restrictions: No live eel. No more than 2 hooks None

I am going to check into this a little more, I have always thought that you could not fish with eels in Maryland.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If I am correct that portion of the Potomac is in Maryland waters, I hope you do not get caught by DNR. eeling is illegal in Maryland waters.

Here is what i got off the DNR home page, line item number 5

IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:
5. for a person to use eel as bait except during the recreational summer striped bass season. (I did not see anything for the Fall season)

This is from the Potomac River Fisheries Commission

Striped Bass (Rockfish) Spring Season Summer/Fall Season
Season Open: April 18 through May 15 May 16 through December 31
Open Area: Below Harry W. Nice Bridge (Rt. 301) Below Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95)
Size Limit: 28" minimum 18" min. w/ only 1 over 28"
Possession Limit: 1 per person 2 per person
Restrictions: No high-grading allowed
Bait Restrictions: No live eel. No more than 2 hooks None

I am going to check into this a little more, I have always thought that you could not fish with eels in Maryland.
The state of MD does not differentiate between and summer and fall season. The summer season runs from basically June until the end of December. Live eeling is not permitted during the Spring trophy season. You can see the maps at

Ramps and Maps Guide - Maryland Fisheries Service

I'm not 100% on this but I believe PRFC has the same rules.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The state of MD does not differentiate between and summer and fall season. The summer season runs from basically June until the end of December. Live eeling is not permitted during the Spring trophy season. You can see the maps at

Ramps and Maps Guide - Maryland Fisheries Service

I'm not 100% on this but I believe PRFC has the same rules.
and here's the link to the PRFC. There are no bait restrictions during the Jun-Dec timeframe.....yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!!

http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/sport_fishing_blue_sheet_.htm

·
Registered
773 Posts
Have to love actually I hate the marylanders thought of owning the river so at least the PRFC has brought some decency to the equation and to add fuel to the fire VA side has one of the largest eel suppliers on the coast.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts