Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Striped bass and Speck reports are great, but here is something a little different....:D

Thanksgiving Fishing Report
The best weather day I have seen in months landed on Thanksgiving Day. We normally eat pretty late so we can fish during the day. For most Thanksgiving Days in the past, we have fished for striped bass. But since the winds were forecast at 5 from the SW, I couldn't resist running further than the Bay.

Although I called most everyone, they were all eating mid-day…except Skip Feller. So, we had our only other Turkey Day defiant onboard and pulling out of Rudee at 6am.

The run was easy, with slick calm seas. We had our BFT gear with us just in case, but the only bluefins we spotted were in the 40-pound class. So we continued on to a wreck in 100-plus feet of water, the water temperature was 57 degrees. We didn't see or hear anyone all day. We dropped squid and crab down to see who was home. Some nice seabass took the calling card. Unfortunately, so did the chopper bluefish. I have never seen so many seabass heads! We sacrificed at least twice our seabass catch to the bluefish cause. :wacko:

Seabass heads...
Water Sky Smile Outdoor recreation Fisherman

I was hoping for a big trigger fish. But I couldn't buy a trigger with my triggerfish rig, although some nice ones were jumping on the seabass rigs. As I was just about to switch rigs, I hooked into a nice fish….ahh, my triggerfish! Nope, it was a 5-pound seabass…ok, I'll take that. Maybe I'll try one more time before I switch rigs. Again, another big tug-of-war, and I thought I had a nice triggerfish. Nope….this time I hauled up a 6 lb, 12 oz seabass stud! Darn! I finally switched to my seabass rig, and began bailing triggerfish…go figure. Most of the triggers were nice sized. Except Skip's monster trigger!

Skip's Monster Triggerfish
Water Sky Smile Sunglasses Watch

Just kidding! We all ended up with big triggers.

The final tally was two limits of seabass (minus the sacrificial bluefish limits) up to almost 7 lbs, four bluefish for CAPT Steve's famous "fish balls," and 33 huge triggerfish averaging to about 4 lbs. We left late afternoon, and made it back in plenty of time for dinner.

A great Thanksgiving Day of fishing! :yes:

5 lb and 6lb 12oz seabass
Water Sky Goggles Fin Smile

Skip's Big Triggerfish
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation

Robin's Big Triggerfish
Water Sky Fisherman Mammal Outdoor recreation

My Big Triggerfish
Water Sky Vertebrate Smile Sunglasses

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice report, the seabass are one of my favorite eating fish. If you have not tried the recipe on Brincfield's site I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Great job folks- Nice report JuBa, good pullage 4 sure ~

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. It was a good time

I guess I'll need to do a loittle rockfishing now. There are some BIG stripers out there right now. I'm heading over to Chris' Bait and Tackle this morning to verify a 51-pounder caught by a nine-year-old for a possible IGFA World Record! :clap:

Darn Danny...you are the Captain AND the COOK??? No wonder they pay you so much! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Thanks guys. It was a good time

I guess I'll need to do a loittle rockfishing now. There are some BIG stripers out there right now. I'm heading over to Chris' Bait and Tackle this morning to verify a 51-pounder caught by a nine-year-old for a possible IGFA World Record! :clap:

Darn Danny...you are the Captain AND the COOK??? No wonder they pay you so much! :thumbup:
Thanks for the report a pictures.

I hope the 51-pounder works out to be a record for the kid !:clapping2:

Dennis:))

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pretty work there Julie,Robin and Skip.....appreciated the call,sorry I was up on the mountain hunting bear.....glad the weather cooperated for ya.....I was slipping on ice and snow at an altitude of 4,000 feet....fun and plenty of exercise.
Got some more deer meat if your out of the other.......
I'm back in town now...got home last night at 3pm ready to fish.....!

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts