Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since we fished at the same place in relatively the same time frame, no need for a separate report. But I did want to show the quality of the fish tonight. Wind and rain be darned, there's some big fish around Kent Island right now. This one was 43"+ caught on a hotrodded 10" BKD with 1.5 ounce jig head in 10 feet of water - 10 pound test line. (Crappy pic, used my water-proof camera and I guess it was fogged up.) That's my biggest of the fall season but not close to my LTJ record from the year at 47". Also, a pic of a fat 28" football Rich caught that shows how many birds we had and how fat the fish are. I have to work tomorrow but I think I can get in an hour or two first. See you at first light!

----

What a difference a day makes. Last night I ran all over the eastern bay, out to 84A and around poplar island finishing with only a few little fish within a mile of the boat ramp. Tonight, I didn't even have to get on plane. Crockett and I launched off Kent Island into a ripping incoming at 2:30 PM and noticed a huge cloud of birds as soon as we cleared the buoys. I had to shush him because he started barking when he saw so many birds and I was afraid he would scare the fish!

With the exception of last night, ever since the day before our two days at the bridge tunnel I've been on a hot streak of 30 inch plus fish on my first cast. Sure enough, nice rod dips right off the bat when this lively 31 took a hot-rodded 6" Manns Hardnose. I landed him quickly and he was still fighting when I took the picture. That was one p*$$ed off fish, strong with sea lice falling off everywhere.

I figured I'd be on fish for a while so I fired off a couple of text messages and sized up to a 10" BKD. There were a couple of trollers around, and one hook & liner showed up for the action, but I mostly had the fish all to myself. Here's one I caught for Jamie. I called him on my cell phone and let him listen to the drag scream during the fight, yuk yuk. Sounded like he'd had a pretty good fishing today too.

I kept two rods rigged and switched over to the smaller jig when the bite slowed with some success. Here's a pearl hardhead half-dipped in orange garlic dye. It worked almost as good as the ones with the secret message!

I stayed with the fish until after dark when it started raining. I think they were going to bite all night. There's a full moon up there behind the clouds somewhere. The tide changed as I was fishing but the bite never slowed. My biggest fish was a very wide 33 inch probably 25 pounder, another extremely strong fighting fish. The fish were throughout the water column in depths ranging from 15 to 25 feet. Best technique was to throw at a 45 degree angle to the current and bounce the bottom. I also caught a few fish on topwater but the bigger ones were deeper. I will be discussing jigging techniques with tips for locating migratory winter schools this Monday at the Brodneck MSSA meeting. I'll tell you then where these fish were and why I think they're there. Hope you can make it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Shawn,
Sweet report. I heard of your "KILL" on the BKD..thought it was a joke, know I know it is real. I might need to git me one of them "Bird Dogs".

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Wow, that's an s-load of birds!!

nice pictures and nice report, the bite is on I guess!!

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Great post Shawn I'll be out all day Friday if you want to join us send me a b-mail.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Dam son...that's too funny with the "kill" pic...crockettt write that?........ I think it's awesome to find quality fish close to home...Congrats Bro!....Be talk'n to ya........

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice fish Shawn, glad to see a report close to home again!

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Shawn,You're Killin' me with those Fish!SUPER JOB!!!!When I hit the Lottery,I'm going to hire you Full time to teach me the workings of a "Rockfish Jedi Master"!!:D:D [Mike]

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Reports like this make me sad that Shawn moved across the bay! Way to catch them up Shawn!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
WTG Shawn,

Dang, wish I knew you were out there. think I was a few miles south of you, on smallies.
:))

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Shawn,

WTG. You have a heck of a streak going with your first cast. Your day today sure makes last Friday hard to swallow.

Can I get one of those signed Mann Hardnoses?

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
you and Jamie are killing me with these reports, nice job

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hey Jim, maybe you can put together a few Kimbro specials for your store. Have Shawn write "KILL" on a couple of BKDs for you to sell. Just remember to give Shawn a cut.

Shawn, I thought I saw you running around yesterday. I was leaving 84A around the time you showed up. Nothing, and I do mean nothing all around the bouy.

Great report.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
great report Shawn. By the 5th picture Crockett seems to be a little irritated that the fish are getting more attention than he is. Hope to see you at the meeting Monday.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
SWEEEEEET!!!! Thanks for the intel. Wish I could have met you out there. Are you really going to sell the idea of righting "Kill" on our BKD's at the MSSA meeting:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts