Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick report. With the recent snowfall, I knew conditions wouldn't be great. Needless to say, I had the stream to myself. The volume of water was as high as I've ever fished it, but it was still crystal clear, and when you could actually see a fish they'd take. I managed a handful of pretty browns on an olive caddis fished dry. No luck at all on nymphs or streamers, but my nymphing skills aren't what they used to be, so I'm guessing I probably passed over a bunch of fish. I didn't see any fish rising, and nothing coming off the water,either. All of the usual pools and pockets were unfishable because of the volume of water, so I had to find the spots where I could actually see a stretch of bottom and spend a few minutes watching for fish, and that seemed to work pretty well.

Just for fun, I fished an antique that I dug out of the back of my rod cabinet, a 1972 vintage 5'/ 5wt Orvis with a matching CFO reel. That little sucker weighs only 1 1/2 oz. and the reel is 4 oz., so you can hardly even feel it in your hand. It's been years since I fished it, and after fishing for a bunch of years with longer rods (7 1/2' to 9'), I was shocked at how well that little rod handled. It's a small stream rod, for sure, but it's deadly accurate and I found myself hardly even thinking about my backcasts in the tight conditions, and I was throwing mends with no trouble at all. I seem to remember reading that someone else on this board had gotten a little 6 footer and was getting ready to try it out, and I'm anxious to hear how it went.

See ya out there,
Doug

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very well done. It's the browns that are stream born in that stream. I could be wrong but they only stock brook and rainbow. So therefore if you managed browns, you did very well. They are usually a little more picky than their dumber stocked cousins. And to get them on dries, very nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts