Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
It's a " typical" Angus read this time of year. He means well, and I have no problem with him. He has a job to do. What else are you going to write about in the last week of December ?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I wonder why the season was extended.....Of course it's good for the charter boats and as long as someone is keeping an eye on the number of fish remaining....no problem.
And I don't mean that guy from "Stripers Forever" who right now today is saying that people are telling him that this is the worst rock fishing in years....

However....Angus writes...

"They might catch 25 or 30 big rock and put them all back alive."

I don't believe 25 or 30 big rock can be caught and released without killing a couple of them.
I would rather see people keep the first big rock they boat and let that be the end of the day for that fisherman.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I agree we ( everyone) are catching too many big Rock.The tackle is getting better, info is passed along faster, GPS/cell phones/etc all make it easier to catch them.Combine more and better fishermen with milder weather and more seaworthy trailerable boats and it's easy to see the Rock are getting hit hard.

IMHO - we will once again overfish the big Rockfish before anything is done.Fishery management often seems to close the barn door after the horse has gotten out.They need to tighten up the limits before too many are taken and get all the states on the same page as far as slot limits.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Skip whole heartedly agree.. BUT getting the states on the " same page", for whatever reason, just isn't going to happen. We can't get three states plus DC to work on polution control, let alone agree on a slot limit.. Politics Politics Politics.... or BS BS BS....

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
If catch and release didn't work then why are there tagging programs.

Catch and release works.studies have shown low mortality rates on c and r

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I'm very curious how the Channel Bass no kill limit will play out.Each season more small ones are getting caught and the big ones are often C/R in the lower bay.I'm betting in a few years- we will be able to target C/R big Channel Bass.

That might be how Rock need to be managed - an upper slot limit to protect the big breeders.We could still catch them - just not kill them.I enjoy fishing for Rock during the closed season - knowing I can not keep them.

I'm really waiting for a 45 incher that is roughly 17 years old to be tested for PCB's, Mercury, etc :eek2: - the results might scare fishermen from keeping the bigger ones.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I really love catch and release.

The big fish aren't as good to eat and I agree with Skip re: possible contamination in the big fish. Have a similar concern with the sores on some of the fish. If you catch a clean fish, how do you know it wasn't "just about" to show a sore. Seems to me that a pretty significant percentage of the fish in TF pictures show one or more sores.

I can remember the 50's when we took so many fish and I can remember the moratorium. Let's release more of the big fish. Get a good picture, a quick measure, and get them back in the water carefully.

Aches n Pains (Doug)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the article. Angus admits stripers are plentiful, just says we are killing too many of them.
As far as the Stripers Forever survey, most of the respondants were from the New England states, where fishing has been getting steadily worse. Sure Maryland had a good year, and many fish will be caught this winter off Virginia and North Carolina, but that doesn't prove there isn't a decline in the quality of fishing elsewhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree we ( everyone) are catching too many big Rock.The tackle is getting better, info is passed along faster, GPS/cell phones/etc all make it easier to catch them.Combine more and better fishermen with milder weather and more seaworthy trailerable boats and it's easy to see the Rock are getting hit hard.

IMHO - we will once again overfish the big Rockfish before anything is done.Fishery management often seems to close the barn door after the horse has gotten out.They need to tighten up the limits before too many are taken and get all the states on the same page as far as slot limits.
no truer words have ever been spoken its way out of control guys are catching 40 trophies a day throwing back 30 no one can convince my some of those fish dont die . we need the reins to be tighten no doubt about it

9ball

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Uggghhh... I hate winter...:D:D:D

For the record- I fish all year long. I catch large fish over the winter, and am mostly C&R during the year (I dont typically keep rock). Two years ago, I actually caught a rockfish that I tagged earlier in the season, so I know that the tagging program works. I think that education programs should be emplaced to teach people how to properly handle fish while practicing C&R... and also think that there should be better science showing harvest amounts, and use that data to determine whether or not new limits should be considered. Its easy to say that we are harvesting too many fish (and I happen to think that its probably accurate, but have no true knowledge since I am not a scientist with access to the data), but without the info at hand, its impossible to KNOW.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I suspect what we are seeing this year has more to do with where the fish are spending their time rather than how many stripers are on the east coast.
I think we just got lucky in that we have lots of big fish here in December.

Let's not go nuts trying to fix what may not be anything other than fish being fish and doing what fish do.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is when trophy season first opened - it was one fish at 36 inches or bigger.Few fishermen used more then 10 rods.Umbrellas and parachutes had yet to arrive.Braided line was unheard of.We had to buy a special permit and got 5 tags to use.Alot of fishermen only got 1-2 trophys the whole season.Even charters only caught 4-5 in a full day trip.

Now limits are the norm for most good fishermen and the better charters go twice a day and get limits both trips.

I think the warmer winter/springs lately are keeping the Rock where we can catch them longer.Years ago - very few fished the CBBT in winter and few boats caught Rock off the beach in Jan/Feb. Now, you can not find a hotel room in Va. beach in winter.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hammer II caught a 50 inch fish a few years ago onboard Brincefields boat. Fritzer I believe had it analyzed. As I remember the story, it was the highest level of mercury in a fish the lab ever saw.

Hammer II? Fritzer? You out there?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I am in Nj on my blackberry so I can't search effectively. Someone google catch and release mortality and Maryland. I am pretty sure Maryland dnr did a study on it and it showed a very low mortality rate.

We need consistant creel limits set federally along the migratory run. I did a thread on this a few months back with my arguments and others gave good feedback as well. Search it out if you are interested.

Personally I catch and release a lot but I also keep fish too that are consumed. Many times during the trophy run I will keep one fish short in case of a gut hook or a record (personal, boat, or other-wise)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hammer II caught a 50 inch fish a few years ago onboard Brincefields boat. Fritzer I believe had it analyzed. As I remember the story, it was the highest level of mercury in a fish the lab ever saw.

Hammer II? Fritzer? You out there?
Mrs Fritzer did the analysis.

It was no surprise that it had the highest level of mercury in a rockfish they had ever measured since it was the biggest rockfish they had ever measured.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The real big fish that are being caught right now are the ones that were allowed to grow up during the moratorium.

We haven't let a bunch of them grow up since.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I release most of my fish as a rule. I try to keep only the fish I will eat that day. . . no freezing fresh fish for me.

When I have a friend or guest that gets real excited about the fish and wants to take it home to eat, if legal, I will let him keep his fish otherwise I press him to release them. Surprisingly, most of the people with me will opt to release. In the spring season and CBBT, I usually suggest keeping only one fish, which once cleaned can be split among the one or two people that want it.

Some people think they are entitled to all the fish that they can legally catch. Legally yes, but I see it differently. . . if you are fishing recreationally, enjoy your sport; if you are fishing to put food on the table, fish for Spot, Perch, Rock etc and keep your limit. Most fisherman are in the first category. . .fishing for fun and can buy their own steaks for the grill.

One great experience is to get the kids and non-fisherman catching spot, hardhead and perch and bringing them back to the grill. This is a great way to introduce people to our sport.

What really makes me sad is when guys bring in a boat load limit, clean the fish and than hunt for someone to take take the fillets. What gives here? Clearly, the fish were simply their trophy for bragging rights. . . couldn't they have accomplished the same fame by simply taking a picture of their catch and releasing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
well if the mortality rate is very low in C.R and you have thousands of boats practicing it then It would seem to me
that alot of fish die no matter how you do the math . this is not including the fish they keep and thats just as big of a concern

9ball

1 - 20 of 21 Posts