Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left the striped bass alone for a couple of days and headed out into the ocean. It is the middle of January and it is time for big sea bass to be on the offshore wrecks off of Virginia. They are there. We caught our 125 fish limit of fish 3 pounds or better. We stopped weighing fish when we had 10 over the 5 pound minimum for a citation. Everyone onboard registered at least one. Bob "Sponge Bob" Manus registered 5. He was using his little, yellow sponge cubes dipped in menhaden oil again. We hopped around, fishing 4 different spots and found big fish on each. We did do some dropping for tilefish and caught some but not a lot and none large. No grouper this weekend. We did catch some bluefish. Middle of January and we caught some triggerfish and a little amberjack. When we were done bottom fishing, we moved out a bit deeper and just stayed. We put out the swordfish stuff but did not have any luck with that. In the morning, we talked about trying for some striped bass but we did not have anywhere to put anymore fish. At least, that was the excuse we used. We were whooped. The crew was Rick Burnley, Jorj Head, Matt Rinck, Bob Manus, and myself.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tags are just different colored wire ties, an idea I got from Craige Stallings. Each of us had a different color. When we would catch one that looked over 5 pounds, we would put one of our tags in it to weigh later. We didn't weigh all of those, but we did most of them. We probably had a dozen or so that were over 5 pounds and a bunch in the 4.5 pound range. All 10 in the photo weighed over 5 pounds.

We started in about 18 fathoms and wreck hopped on out to our tilefish hole in about 50 fathoms. I did not stay anywhere too long, leaving plenty of fish for the next guy.

I just fish for fun, I am not a charter captain (getting bmail requests). Now would be a good time to get a charter if you want to catch a bunch of big sea bass and don't want to go out in your own boat.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Great groceries trip fellas! A few of us from work are going out on the Jil Carrie next Wednesday. We hope to get into some of that action....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts