Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in at Aylet and made my way down river. I stopped at several of the bends and had zero hits on Silver buddies or minnows. I guess it is going to be a few more weeks until the ringers get in up there. I talked to the 2 other boats out today. One guy caught 2 4 inch ring perch and the other had only 1 catfish for the day. I was marking some nice schools that looked like perch but no takers. It is either too early or they got lockjaw:yawn:

I also noticed my boat registration went out the first of February. I didn't get anything in the mail. That mean I have to make the trip to broad street?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I hear a lot of people "put in at Aylet" and then didn't do so well. Hvae you ever put in further down river where it is a little wider and deeper?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run a few miles down from Aylet. I guess there is a ramp between Aylet and West Point but I have never used it. I don't know the river all that well except for a few "community" feb/march perch honeyholes and they are close to Aylet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hey Robbie theres a ramp in walkerton ...going 360 towards Aylett from Richmond take a right on 30 between 7-11 and fas-mart heading towards west point the road to the ramp is a left turn in front of the elementary school on 30 dont recall the name but believe theres a brown ramp sign.....when I lived near there in the mid 90's got familiar with that part of the river and would put in there and head towards Aylett and faired well at times

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read somewhere that this ramp is operated by the Fire Dept. & there's a small launch fee...is this the same place?

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes they have a mailbox and ask for donations to keep up the gravel and for trash removal ,,,great bunch of folks there I love to go bream fishing in may and keep all the bream and put in at walkerton and head down river to first major turn and 20 to 30' depths for catfish all night then giant gar at sunrise will begin their yanticks and definately wake ya back up for sure

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would say better than decent always had decent to excellent results out of walkerton down river on live bait small perch or bream have been my go to baits I would imagine jumbo minners to fair well also ...beautiful place to just take a boat ride as well I have been from walkerton to west point often have some friends at rainbow acres campground down river bout halfway.....found the good to better catfish holding in deep holes in the river bends

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got skunked on the mattaponi last sunday. Didnt even get a hit. Fished from aylett to walkerton. I live on river. Last year they never came in good at all. Gona try somewhere tom. Not on matta. Though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts