Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Sandy SP today, on the way out I noticed thousands possibly millions of juvenile spot dying/inside the inlet and all along the western shore from BB to Love point as far as I could see,some were sill alive but floating upside down.

I don't know but My guess is they stayed too late and got a shot of cold water temps ? shame to see even though I don't LL..
All were juvenile spot nothing else .

·
Registered
13,935 Posts
That is real surprising to me. The spot should have left a long time ago. I know the perch are still here but can take the cold. These photos are going to give Mlag nightmares:eek2:.........Gary

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Spot don't start the ocean migration until later in life. They head up into the creeks and rivers in the Winter. It's normal for these to happen although this one sounds pretty big. At least the temps are normalizing now.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Saw the same on the eastern side. A Waterman I spoke to said they were thick from Tilghman to below Jane's Island.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Your photos are excellent - 100% proof of the dead fish being small Spot.

Looks like a few Whiting mixed in.

I've heard some small Spot winter over in deep water - question is what caused so many to die ?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
As I came over the bridge this evening I saw what looked like lot of small pods of fish working the surface. Now I wonder if they were the dead / dieing Spot.

TED

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think some do over winter in deeper holes.But from what I know Spot are very temperature sensitive , cant take quick drops in temp.

I'm just guessing but I think the cold snap combined with all the long windy days we had,had something to do with it.It was a massive amount of fish though, so maybe more are overwinter in the bay because of the milder winters? or they just got caught up leaving too late to head farther south to warmer water.
If it was a water quality issue I would think other species would be involved.

I did report it to the fish kill hot line for what its worth .Maybe someone there can give us a some answers,I would be interested in knowing what caused this.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I think some do over winter in deeper holes.But from what I know Spot are very temperature sensitive , cant take quick drops in temp.

I'm just guessing but I think the cold snap combined with all the long windy days we had,had something to do with it.It was a massive amount of fish though, so maybe more are overwinter in the bay because of the milder winters? or they just got caught up leaving too late to head farther south to warmer water.
If it was a water quality issue I would think other species would be involved.

I did report it to the fish kill hot line for what its worth .Maybe someone there can give us a some answers,I would be interested in knowing what caused this.
let us know what you find out if you are contacted.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Kinda off topic - In fall of 2010 , the Spot we were catching never seemed to turn to the gold belly color. I was told they change color just before they migrate south. I caught Spot much later then normal last fall.

Wonder if for some reason - they did not migrate. The photos of the dead ones sure prove a bunch stayed.

Few years ago - off Ocean City - very cool water moved into the beach. Huge amounts of Croakers were killed by the thermal shock. Thousands washed up on the beach.

Perhaps something similar happened to these Spot. Tends to reason - if it was some type of pollution / chemical , other fish would be mixed in with them.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Wasn't there a massive fish kill in the winter last year down south that was cause by the extremely could winter. Gray's creek in the magothy had been frozen a lot for being only December. Can not recall it being frozen over that early in the winter before.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Yea there was a a massive fish kill in Rudee Inlet here in Va. and in the sounds and other parts of N.C. Lots of Speckled Trout and Puppy Drum where killed by what was blamed on to much cold weather.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
When I went to the CBBT in early December the water temp was actually slightly colder then it was in the upper bay. the fish would have had to migrate well over 100 miles in temps in the upper 30s for most of the way. they probally either died from the cold water or the chemicals they used to treat the recent snow

1 - 20 of 48 Posts