Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week long report:

It started out this past Sunday, March 4. We tried to go tog fishing but it was blowing big time. I thought that maybe we could find someplace up the Eastern Shore out of the wind. There was no such place. We ran into some birds at the mouth of the bay and caught and released 30 something inch rockfish. At Smith Ilsand, we caught some bigger fish. We kept 3. Charles Southall's fish weighed in at 54-10 while Bob Manus' fish weighed in at 46-12. Mine was a little 37 pound fish. We did run back up the coast and tried to fish the Marble Wreck but it was too windy even there. No togs but plan B worked out OK:

This Saturday it was calm and we caught little fish. Tricia and I went out and did a little tautog fishing. We fished the Doxie Girl and tagged and released 8 togs. None were big, about half were legal keepers. While we were sitting there, birds were working the entire time inshore of us. We left the togs and put out a couple of spoons to see what was under them. We found medium-sized stripers. There are still fish in the ocean even though the bay is full of them:

Yesterday, we went offshore bottom fishing. It was rough out there. Jorj Head did not make our last trip and he wanted to load up on some fish. Load up we did. We caught tilefish 2 and 3 at a time. We had multiple citations but no world record this time. Quite frankly, we have been afraid to break the world record again. We did not want to make Mrs. Sponge Bob angry with us. Now that there is a pending fish larger than hers, we can go back to the top secret world record hole (note: we really don't have a secret hole, we just fished where Darren told us to). On this trip, our largest fish was caught by Bob "Sponge Bob" Manus and it weighed in at 17 pounds 2 ounces. It still was not as big as his wife's 17-7 which, for now, is the current world record. We had several more in the teens. Jorj caught two of them at a time. Everyone on board registered at least one citation except for me. I just drove the boat. As rough as it was, I would try and hold the boat on the tilefish spot. We did not have the trouble with dogsharks that others have reported. After all of the boxes were full of tiles, Jorj wanted to catch a wreckfish so we ran over to a wreck and caught several. Jorj caught a little guy which had somebody else's hook in it. We figure that it must belong to the Jil Carrie:

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Good fun and sweet fish, some very admirable fish there, CONGRATS TO ALL.
Went toggin today and did ok. Recovered yet another one of your tags. I'm sure you will get the info from Claude soon.
Bill

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We may just have been lucky. We were fishing in the 50 fathom area just like everyone else. We did catch some dogs but it was about 10 tiles to each shark. I would just try and hold the boat on the tiles. If someone would catch a shark, we would move back to one of the hot spots and everyone would load up with tiles. We weighed in 7 citations. All were between 12 and 17 pounds, we had some others that may have made it if we had weighed them. We were in a nice class of fish.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You guys earned those fish for sure. I can see in the pics how the seas picked up during the day. I pulled the plug and stayed home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
NICE WORK !!!!!!!! you guys and gals make it look easy (until you see the wave behind you) great job

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dam nice fishing folks! Big fish as usual in your reports.:bigfish:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes Grady, the Jil Carry weighed in an 18-10 which is what I was referring to as a new pending record out there. It is a process which takes some time so for now, Jenny Manus is still the record holder. If all the rules are followed and all the forms filled out, that 18-10 will be the new world record and the initial state record. There have been bigger ones (over twenty pounds) caught both commercially and recreationally but not under IGFA rules. Someone is going to break that 20 pound mark, I just hope that it is off of Virginia. Brincefield's latest one will make it 7 tilefish records caught off of our coast in about a year's time. We have some big fish out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts