Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a little boy and a little girl on the BIG white perch of my childhood.

We used to tear up 1 pound + fish casting spinners and old large mouth lures around the Nomini area many moons ago. (60s and 70s)

Does anyone know the best time to catch em up in the creeks, or if the big uns are even around anymore like they used to be?

A couple of little ones and one not so little one would sure appreciate any info!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Still a great spot to catch perch. Fishing methods are the same. Small spinners and the more common
method in this area of drift fishing. Ragged point is also a good area. Just need some warmer
weather to get the water temps up.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

We have also caught quite a few in this area bottom fishing, but all have been avg size.

I was hoping to get the scoop on the 1 pound plus fish we used to get into.

Although we have caught a few of these bigger fish bottom fishing over the years, in my youth we used to consistently catch them casting in water less than 5 ft deep in the creeks.
I believe we must have been getting into pre or post spawn fish, but it was so long ago that I can not remember what months were the most consistent.

We literally used to catch these big boys/girls on large spinner baits and crank baits to weed out any small ones.
I recall several that were just under the state record, what ever that was back in the 70s, but we never even turned one in for any papers.

If they are still around I am sure some of you guys would know about it, but times do change, so this may be just another case of something that once was, but is no more....

Does no one recall catching these monsters back in the day at least?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
they are still around
my daughter caught a 13" wp in that area 2 years ago. We usually target croaker, spot and rocks. white perch sure taste good but they are not much fun to catch, we usually throw them back and move deeper.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I don't know about fishing for them in that area. I target white perch in the summer and fall around shoreline structure and edges of grassbeds in the MD Ches Bay tribs on the western shore like the Severn and Patuxent. I fish ultra light spinning gear with "beetlespin" type safety pin spinnerbaits with 1/16 oz jigheads and 2 inch twister tails. Last year I started using white and chart. berkley gulb twister tails with great results--more 12 inch perch for me last year than ever before. Before I started using gulps I usually tipped the hook with a bit of perch belly or a grass shrimp or sometimes small minnows or bits of bloodworm--a little bit of flavor or scent is very helpul.

I get a lot of 10 to 12 inch perch and loads of them in the 8-10 inch range. Best conditions are often at higher tidal levels and/or lower light levels--they move in very shallow in low light. We fish mostly around docks, downed trees, and rip rap shorelines, as well as the edges of grassbeds if they are present where we are fishing.

Catching white perch in tributary rivers during the summer months is one of the surest bets in fishing, at least in the areas I fish. When after white perch we also sometimes catch yellow perch, stripers and croakers as well as pickerel, catfish, bass and some sufish in certain areas.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I also recall the higher the tide being better for casting, and the big ones liking a bit of current.
Also tore up many, many a beetle spin but mentioned the bigger lures as we switched to these to weed out the avg size fish.

13" one for your daughter? Now that's a nice one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts