Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped some traps for a few hours in Jones Creek area looking for a couple dozen for dinner. Ended up with 34 nice heavy crabs including the biggest one I've ever caught. A hair over 9". Also got a nice 6" soft crab on a doubler off the poles. Been catching a lot off the poles the last couple weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That's a CITATION CRAB call DNR and go the MD fishing challenge on Sunday to see if you WON something!!!

Congrats Still looking for my First 9'er

TED

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geez, I didn't even think of that.. Steamed him up and split him with the wife. Of course she got the half with the bigger claw. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Congrats' did you check him in for a md state citation? I hope so. Very nice well done i've been close so many times

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Dropped some traps for a few hours in Jones Creek area looking for a couple dozen for dinner. Ended up with 34 nice heavy crabs including the biggest one I've ever caught. A hair over 9". Also got a nice 6" soft crab on a doubler off the poles. Been catching a lot off the poles the last couple weeks.
I have been crabbing over 50+ years and I have never caught a 9 incher. Congrats. I hope you at least saved the shell........... Gary

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
My thoughts as well Jerry. I'm getting close alot but no cigar yet !!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Crabbing at night off of Matapeake pier this time of year just ahead of a hurricane (many years ago).
Catching nothing...until one line came taught.
I thought it had a ray or rockfish...it was pulling that hard.
Barely got it in the net and then barely got it into a bushel basket.
Didn't put a tape on it but it must have been close to a foot...biggest crab I've ever seen.
Fed two of us.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Nice, Thought & memory forever for sure I bet..

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Last several trips. I've caught a couple of big crabs that looked like they just came out of the mud. Nasty looking crabs and their points are short, but the shell itself is wide. All dark on the bottom side. But they are the heaviest and packed with meat. Dark green top shell, looking crusty. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Last several trips. I've caught a couple of big crabs that looked like they just came out of the mud. Nasty looking crabs and their points are short, but the shell itself is wide. All dark on the bottom side. But they are the heaviest and packed with meat. Dark green top shell, looking crusty. Any thoughts?
They are just crabs that have been in their shell for a long time and are eating well...... Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.