Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gang

This report is a little late, but I think worth the read. This year my good friend Tom brought his boat (a new 70' Spencer called the Makara) up to Ocean City for the Maryland offshore season. Tom and I have fished together all over the world for almost twelve years now and had some great adventures catching all sorts of fish. This year the offshore fishing out of Ocean City was an adventure that I will never forget, I doubt Tom will and really anyone else that was fishing offshore, the offshore fishing for white marlin was nothing less then epic. I have so many pictures and so much video that it will take me the winter to go though it and I will post it as I do. The cutting white marlin video we captured is a sight to see, imagine acres of breaking stripers in the Chesapeake, then picture them all as white marlin, that is what it was like some days. We fished the White Marlin Open as well as the Mid Atlantic 500 in addition to logging a ton of fun days.

This report brings us to Friday (August of this year), the last day of the Mid Atlantic 500. We were realistically out of the running for the biggest White Marlin and thought our best strategy would be to go for a blue marlin since no one had weighed one in. We figured any legal blue (99 inches,federal minimum, and 400lbs, tournament minimum) would bring us some loot, about $350,000 from the calcuttas and things we entered. Not a bad pay day. We left early am and decided to go north, about two hours plus hours later we set out our lines and we were fishing. Hopes were high that we would get lucky, generally the winning fish from these tournaments are caught on the last day for whatever reason. About an hour and half into the morning Billy, the Makara Captain, yells down,"Blue Marlin". Sure enough there he was in the teaser lit up like a mad man with one mission of eating the thing. Dropped a bait back to him and nothing, he's keyed in on the teaser, we get it up and out of the water while dropping the bait back, one swipe and GAME ON! I take the rod from the side holding on for dear life while its ripping drag off the reel. I get in the seat, scratch the chair getting the rod in the butt holder (big ouch
doh, but no one cares with this fish on) and finally get situated, all I could do is hold on while he ripped drag. At this point no one can touch the rod or reel so I'm solo no matter how long the fight. Once he made a stop Billy went to get him, as fast as we backed down the faster he ran and jumped. I am not sure how long the fight was, it was all a blur and anyone that says fighting a big fish is not work has not caught a big fish, its work and it's tiring. We finally get him to the back where Backlash (the Makara's mate) grabs the leader, it's a catch, he holds the fish for a minute to get a good look to see if we should measure, after about twenty seconds looking and not saying a word he says, "It's close, we should measure and see if he is going to take a ride back to Sunset with us." Billy comes down and helps Backlash get the fish in, I sit in the chair in pretty much amazement of how big this animal is, big. Backlash puts the tape on the tail, Tom brings it to the mouth, 98 1/2 inches. Backlash says, "he's fat and probably close to 400lb if he measures 99" ( so we can take him in to weigh). Tom measures again, 98 inches, again 98 1/2. Time was running short if we were going to put him back, one more measurement and sure enough....98 1/2 inches, back in the water he goes along with the hopes of $350,000...that's fishing for you:D
We revived the fish for a long while and he swam off to grow some more, hopefully not to be fooled again by a teaser:))

Was it 400lbs, we'll never know, but it was close and was still the biggest fish I have ever landed and a great thrill. We all laughed for a minute about it and went right back to putting the baits back in the search of another. We never got another blue that day, had a few bites and while we did not get the fish or the money, we'll still remember the story for a long time.

A few fishing pictures from the fight: (
photo credits: Tom and Dacia)

Man this is hard

Getting jacked up on diet coke

Backlash ready to grab the leader

Maybe big enough

Looks like we should measure

Tom takes a measurement

Backlash has one last look to put another set of eyes on him

Setting him free

Gives a good idea of the size of the head on this fish

Getting the lines back out

Waiting for the next one to appear

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Darn nice fish. :thumbup: Congrats on your biggest to date. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
911, I am guessing 30-40 minutes, I honestly can not remember. At some point I will go back and look at the time stamps on the pics and figure it out. I should add that catching almost any billfish is a total team effort. While an angler may feed the fish,set the hook and reel the fish in, which takes some skill, it's as much about rigging the baits to make them swim right, rigging the dredge to make it look real, others reeling in the lines when the fish is hooked, reeling in and playing the teaser rod, the boat captain driving the boat to help land the fish, the wire man, and all the people supporting moving things around etc... It really is a team sport.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Brandon that's a beast.:bigfish: Half inch short holy moly.doh Where was the Fly rod?:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice job. Any fish you need a transom door to get in the boat is huge.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with the team effort, but you are the only one in the pic's with sweat dripping off your nose!
congrat's on the great catch

·
Registered
849 Posts
guess we're gonna have to get you a few bottles of andro to bulk you up a little for fish like that :help:.
and what's with that diet stuff. you need calories, man.
seriously, great catch.

bil

·
Registered
320 Posts
WOW!! What an amazing story and really great pics too! So sorry to see you miss that minimum by 1/2" but it must have been a thrill of a lifetime. Can't wait to see more of the pics and especially the vid of the white marlin breakers. WTG Brandon!:clapping2::high5:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Helluv a story and great pictures!! :thumbup: I need to get back to work now! :D Thanks for posting! :yes:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My son could relate with the term "big ouch!" That's his line for sure. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I see you measured the fish with the tape going over top of the body. This way you are more or less measuring the curvature or the width of the fish added to the length. Shouldn't the tape be flat on the ground? I know nothing of the offshore seen. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
It sure sounded like an epic offshore season out there this year. I hope you're not completely immune to tiny rockfish in the bay anymore and still chase the light tackle bite. <o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 36 Posts