Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious (and cabin fever) as to what the biggest fish everyone has pulled out of the suds. My personal biggest was a sandtiger shark that went about 90 lbs., pulled out at AI from a large bunker head. I'm yet to land a big striper from the surf though. Lost one last year after a long run off.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
[q]what the biggest fish everyone has pulled out of the suds [/q]

The last time I checked a shark wasn't a fish [grin]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a 51" cobia this past fall while drum fishing, it was one of the most fun fish to fight becuse I caught it on light action 10' rod that I usually throw lures with but at the time I threw out a bunker chunk. I also caught a 50" red drum, from length and girth measurements it was about 40 lbs. The biggest striper I ever caught in the surf was 39" using a spoon.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[Q]Seahunter originally wrote:
[q]what the biggest fish everyone has pulled out of the suds [/q]

The last time I checked a shark wasn't a fish [grin]
[/Q]well you might be right, but they sure do give some good pullage![wink]

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Sharks are dogs. You might ae welll snag a row boat.[grin]

Biggest surf caught "fish"
Cobia :83.7lbs.
Red Drum: 64 lbs. (estimate using length/girth formula)
Striper:42.3 lbs.
Bluefish: 17.4 lbs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
48" Red Drum this Fall at Sandbridge!

Helped out on a 5'+ Sandtiger before. HAd the darn leader around my hand in waist deep water thinking it was a drum. Got a big surprise when I saw his pearly whites and then high tailed it out of the water!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Reeled in a Skate/Stingray larger than the hood on my 2002 F150 pickup truck a week before Isabel hit.
On the beach down south of Salvo.
Caught it with a Taylor Blue on a f/f rig.
12ft. rod bent right in half.
Once I got it out of the surf and went to take the hook out, the 50# steel leader I was using snapped in half.
Was this the Salvo hole monster???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 47" drum off Little Island Pier October past after returning from deployment September 27th. Yep, I kissed and loved the family, then went fishing. Priorities!!!

My largest fish to date was April 22nd 2001; I got a 52'' drum on Cape Point about 2am. That's the day the ocean turned drum red.

Doesn't get any better.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
[q]If a shark is not a fish then what is it ? [/q]

In the purest sense of the word fish, yes a shark is a fish because of the wide given definition of the word.

However, in reality there are two very distinct classes of fish under this heading. First you have the Osteichthyes which are boney fish and you have the Chondrichthyes which are cartilaginous fish. I guess technically the question should have been what's the biggest Osteichthyes or Chondrichthyes that you have caught[grin]

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
[Q]Seahunter originally wrote:
Sharks are dogs. You might ae welll snag a row boat.[grin]

Biggest surf caught "fish"
Cobia :83.7lbs.
Red Drum: 64 lbs. (estimate using length/girth formula)
Striper:42.3 lbs.
Bluefish: 17.4 lbs.

[/Q]

yeah but can you catch a 12" bluefish?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
[q]yeah but can you catch a 12" bluefish? [/q]

Only when I need bait[grin]

I built a pair of Allstar 1418 rods this winter just so I can feel them O.C. dinks bite. I'll still keep the other rods on the truck just in case we have to throw storm sinkers again.[grin]

·
Registered
20 Posts
biggest fish so far a 200+ pd sand tiger off the point.
reddrum 50.5 incher off sandbridge
cobia 48.7 pd off rodanthe pier
striper 29.5 pd from coquina beach
Got lots of other drum and cobias over the years but that darn king mack keeps eluding me every year. [wink]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.