Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
While everyone is waiting for the Flats to warm up and be fishable was wondering how big of fish people have caught during the C&R season.
My best was a 27# fish caught with a herring fillet when the weather was nasty. It was raining steady with a south wind, water was brown too so we had to switch to bait because our lures were not working.
Had been catching some smaller rock and catfish when wham my dead sticked pole(with circle hook) was about pulled out of the rod holder. The fish is still to this day the biggest one I have personally caught, including fishing the ocean out of Indian River Inlet and Lewes.
Tight lines to all, Lance.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
C&R

I choose not to stress them during C&R fishing but I did video one I pulled out for a quick vid a few seasons ago. I did'nt measure it so I don't know how big it was but you can check out the vid on my myspace page. www.myspace.com/dragonman0325 It's not the biggest but it's a pretty big ole girl. Notice the BKD hanging out of her mouth. Caught her jigging in 25 ft of water. Yup 25 foot on the flats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dad and I have caught several 40''+ fish over the years on the flats. No boga grip or other scale though, so no weights. I'm sure there have been some pretty sizeable cows hooked on the flats during the C&R.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The first time out on the flats several years ago I caught one 32 inches on a sassy shad. Unlike the 25ft of water I was in 3 feet of water out from Furnace Bay. Last year I only caught 14 to 24 inch ones but had a blast.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'd say the vast majority are cuaght in 2-10 feet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Waiting patiently

I haven't posted a report because I don't have anything to report yet.
Getting all my gear in order and going nuts waiting for the weather to break and spring to arrive. Was planning on hitting the Flats a couple times in April to try my luck with the rocks.
MG

·
Registered
84 Posts
Me Too

I'm planning on hitting the flats a couple of times in April too. That is if I can get my friends to get the schedules right.

·
Registered
797 Posts
a couple seasons back got a 48" striper on a freshwater bill dance rattlle trap. alittle thing i was trowing around cause fishing was slow and weather was bad.trying to catch somthing,it bent the hooks pretty bad but we landed her and quick pic and back she went. oh ya jus headingsouth from turkey pt towards sandy about 20-25ft water ,hit came vary clos to surface .

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Last year caught a 43"er that bottomed out the boga at 30#. Would guess it was around 35#. I got it on a Stillwater Popper in three feet of water. The blowup was as big as the boat we were in. Have to love that shallow water big fish topwater.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Couple years ago caught a 40lb one on a homemade balsa top water plug. 4' of water south of Carpenters Point about a mile. What a thrill. Can't beat that top water in the shallows!
Les on the "Beckster"s Pride"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Didnt measure the fish, but scale was ranging around 40 lbs 5 years ago 1st week of April in heavy fog and flat calm conditions. Caught on 1/2 of herring on north end of the flats at first light.

Thanks to Ele and Capt Mike for the advice that morning, still my biggest yet:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Before there was a Flats season, Captain Ed Darwin caught and released a Rock near the Bay Bridge estimated at over 80lbs. I believe he has a photo. The story was in the paper at the time. He and the party decided to release this probable world record because she was full of eggs.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Before there was a Flats season, Captain Ed Darwin caught and released a Rock near the Bay Bridge estimated at over 80lbs. I believe he has a photo. The story was in the paper at the time. He and the party decided to release this probable world record because she was full of eggs.
Talk about a tough decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
My largest is 46 in..on a pencil popper in 2 ft of water...the fish might have weighed 30 lb.s ..was long and skinny. Looked like a female that had dropped its roe...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
No photo, no scale.....but luckily I had two witnesses :bigfish:

49.75" with a 32" girth.......didn't quite make the holy grail of 50"s but the charts put that fish over 50lbs which Chili (travis) can attest too. Damn thing almost "re-positioned" him out the boat when he tried to lip it with one hand:cool:

That particular afternoon/evening all three of us including Rich Berkey caught our largest ever.

PS....I think that colder weather we had last week REALLY helped us out with the migration.....hope you all have a great season!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts