Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In three years I've had three Rule bilge pump switches go bad. There's got to be something more reliable on the market. Here's the type I've been using:
Any recommendations?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thats a good question Slip,Rule seems to be junk across the board.I have had my bait well motor and float switch go bad also with just a half yr. of use.Both made by Rule. (JUNK)you would think that something that is so important for safety as a float switch would be made a little better:censored:

I've been searching but have yet to find anything worth wild ,Maybe someone else can make a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I know its hard to believe but mine has lasted over 20 years and has no moving parts. I believe you can still find them in local stores. There is a sealed pressure switch mounted above the bilge that is connected to a clear plastic tube about 1/8" in diameter. This tube runs down to a small funnel looking device that is immersed upside down in the bilge water. This creates an airlock in the tube. As the water height increases the air pressure in the tube increases turning on the pump. The switch setting is adjustable. The pump will run until the the water level decreases sufficiently to break the airlock in the funnel. Visualize taking an empty glass and inverting in water. The deeper you sink the glass the greater the pressure in the aircolumn in the glass. It's amazingly simple and very reliable.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and as always good suggestions from TF. Kevin I'm going the solid state route also, just too much to go wrong with anything mechanical. I couldn't fin a distributor for the Water Witch so I'm just going to order two from them. As far as I'm concerned the bilge pump switch is the 2nd most important thing on a boat, the battery being the first.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Nick, if you find a good switch send the info to these guys:

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - The city's $385,000, state-of-the-art fire boat sank Wednesday, still tied up at a dock and without ever being put to use.
The boat, moored at a marina by the James River Bridge, was discovered with its stern sitting on the river bottom and the bow sticking up out of the water. Investigators had not yet determined the cause of the sinking.
The fire department had not even taken ownership of the 33-foot boat because it was waiting for the manufacturer, MetalCraft Marine of Canada, to finish installing electronic equipment, department spokeswoman Dana Perry said. Perry said the department has two other boats that can be used to fight fires on the water, but they don't have the capabilities or technology of the new vessel.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I not sure you are doing this. But the one thing that will hurt them is leiving water in the bilge. it freezes and cracks the pastic housing. I have mine mounted on a piece of aluim. and let it lay in the bilge. then in the winter i sit it up high in the bilge where water and ice can't get to it. The one that is in my boat right now is five years old and still working.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saltfly that's a good point but my boat is on jack stands, bow inclinded and the plug out. Heck one of the switches was installed in March and went bad by September. The last one I bought I put the sales slip in the box and put the box in my dock box. I knew I'd need it. This time it's going back for a refund and not an exchange. Thanks for the tip anyway.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
My boat sits bow high as well. But I still find water in the bilge when I uncove it from the winter. try this. I do this as well. I put a thin layer of 5200 on all the seams where the switch is welded together. I know I said welded. Thats what the mauf.'s call it when they bond them together. this keeps out water which is what causes most of the trouble with those switch. Their aways seems to be an opening where water can get in. I guess its just poor quality control. Most of them are made out of this country.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.