Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. I was looking for some help in/around the Annapolis area on installing a bilge pump. Currently, my boat (18' Trophy Walkaround) has a single bilge pump (Rule 800gph) that is connected to a float switch that does not work. What I would ultimetely like to do is install a second bilge pump and repair the float switch. It would be nice to have one fully automatic pump, and a second manual/automatic pump, just in case.

I am very mechanically inclined, and could probably figure it out on my own, but I would love for someone else to be there, or at least be able to walk me through the wiring before attempting the task. I would be able to shoot you a few bucks, or buy a case of beer for your time. If your willing to help, or even able to let me pick your brain on the wiring, shoot me a PM or reply here with some contact info...

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If you want to be safe what you ultimately want is :

1 bilge pump wired to a float switch on 1 battery pumping out a thru hull
1 bilge pump wired to an on/off switch on another battery pumping out another thru hull

First thing you want to do, if you have a crummy RULE manual float switch.....throw it in the trash. Get yourself an electronic WATER WITCH float switch and you will not regret it.

http://www.waterwitchinc.com/

Wiring diagrams are on that website. I've had my water witch for years now without a hiccup. Before that i went through cheap manual float switches about like trailer lights, you might get a year out of one, you might get a week out of one.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
One tip: Be sure to use good quality heat shrink on any connections. Try your best to secure the splice high and in a way there is no stress / pull on the splice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.