Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on bay in the sporty conditions this afternoon and ran into thousands of birds. Tried casting several lures and trolling a full spread and only one knockdown but came off to show for it. I did catch a big ass pelican off a way back storm lure while trolling. What gives?? Is it too early for the fish to be schooled up?? Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
My suggestion is to not fish for birds:D:clap:

Sorry couldn't help it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, it is still a bit early. I tried on Sat. with a buddy--fished Mouth of the Mobjack, York Spit area and the pound poles up north of New Point, didn't get a sniff. Saw a few birds, and there were loads of fish marks. I was trying a bit earlier than I thought was wise, but the buddy has yet to catch a saltwater striper--still hasn't. I think the troll bite could turn on any time now, though. Water temp was 55* in the Mobjack on Sunday when I went out briefly mainly just to run my boat some (used my buddy's boat on Sat.) The early fish are likely to be smaller ones, but will get bigger as the water temp falls.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Birds means bait. There are times there is only bait with no fish and the water is shallow enough for the birds to pick off the bait w/o being pushed to the top by fish. It is a bit early but I think it will only get better as time goes on. As Billy will tell you, sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I wire lined the first and second today with nothing to show for it and also wire lined
from the first to the small boat channel and caught nothing and didn't mark any bait...
maybe something will come in by friday when it should be a little nicer on the bay
than it was today...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are the Gannets already here or are we just talking birds? I haven't noticed any gannetts yet, but someone please chime in if they have. For the newbies, a gannett is basically a seagull on roids with 5ft wingspan. Off in the distance they may look like gulls but after a while you can tell the difference. They are a bit more reliable in my opinion. I've never seen a bunch of gannetts divebombing bait and not been in the thick of it. They will be chasing the bait down the coat and when they show, the fish will definatley been schooled up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's a bad moon phase the current is not even moving a 1/2 knot. The fish are sitting on structure and only feeding in clean moving water. It doesn't seem to matter ebb or flood tide, day or night as long as it's clean and moving. If you don't have both fish for tog!!!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
they are LIAR BIRDS~BiB

a small flock of gannets were off sandbridge way way way south on Saturday B.V. ~ they were just setting on the water, when I pulled up to them-they puked menhaden before they could fly off they were so stufffed with bait !

UNTIL YOU SEE BIRDS LIKE THIS ::: DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM ~

·
Registered
360 Posts
Capt Jim Brincefield and myself were in them also. It was silversides, and miles of them. Underneath them we caught speckled trout and gray trout about 10" long. Mixed in on top was acres of small blues about 6" long. This bodes well for the future.:yes:

Capt. Tim

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I've never seen a bunch of gannetts divebombing bait and not been in the thick of it. They will be chasing the bait down the coat and when they show, the fish will definatley been schooled up.
I have seen gannets diving on bunker with no fish under them. Usually the water is under 15 feet. Gannets can dive pretty deep and pick off the bunker if they are not in deeper water. One time last year thousands of gannets were going off along Smith Island ocean side. Thought is was game on time but it was only bunker and birds...no fish. They are coming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thats pretty crappy Mike, I'm not hust sure how I'd feel if I was in the middle of that and couldn't catch a fish. Thanks for the picture Jamie, thats good news.

Shouldbefishing, I think your right on the money with your reply.

Ben

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Saw some Gannets about 15 miles offshore this past weekend. I'm sure (true to form) the first couple of schools of ocean stripers will pass by well offshore and then we'll get our turn.

With that being said, my guess is that the Ocean View/Little Creek run should be starting within the next couple of weeks. I marked quite a lot of bait outside Little Creek on Saturday morning.

Good luck out there. Like someone said, I'd be fishing structure (like the islands and CBBT)...

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Nice video

Are you sure someone didn't dump a box of crackers on the water? Now who would do something like that?

Good Fishin

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. Birds were as thick as picured in above post and were moving around following bait. Figured it was still al ittle too early but thought the Low pressure might jump start a bite. Oh well, I was the bug yesterday.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Are you sure someone didn't dump a box of crackers on the water? Now who would do something like that?

Good Fishin

I have been saving the heels from loafs of bread out in the garage for 6 months now
JUST FOR THAT PURPOSE~

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
THAT WAS AN AWESOME SHOW FOR SURE!!!! Maybe we can do it again this year!! I was wondering what you did with my crackers Dennis!!!

As far as the big fish coming, watch the reports on the other boards and when they start catching them there, its time to start thinking about trolling here.........they are STILL CHUMMING up there.......with the weather expected this weekend it wont help any either.........70 degrees is NOT striper weather.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts