Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished off Tall Timbers yesterday and we caught over a hundred fish with large groups of birds scattered about; only caught one keeper, many 16 to 18" fish and many many 10 to 14" fish; a healthy sign for the future. I've been fishing the Potomac and Bay for 50 yrs. and yesterday will be one of my most memorable. Top water and jigs worked all day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I I just got back from fishing Monday and this morning. Monday morning I got up bumped out to the number 7 trolled for an hour or two till about 10 o'clock. Picked up a couple of nice rockfish but no keepers on a pink spoon and a number two planner. Found some birds around 10 o'clock over breaking fish and caught over 100 on a chartreuse little bunker 1 ounce jig. Most fish 18 inches and below. I did pick up a couple of 20 plus size fish. On the way back to yeo around 1:30 in the rain I ran into another couple of schools of 16 inch fish. I kept fishing till 4:30 catching a fish virtually every cast on that chartreuse Jig. I took pounce's advice and let it sink under the breaking fish and picked up a couple of more 20 plus size fish. Best day ever on the river.
Today it was dead calm and super foggy. Had to putt putt around and listen to find the birds. Found more breaking rockfish schools. The second school I found were 20 plus size fish!! picked up a couple of 24 inch rockfish and a 28 inch blue fish? The blue fish fight like a demon. Eventually I broke off my chartreuse Jig. Tried everything else I had in the box and only got a few strikes. Had to be off the water by noon but still an incredible couple days of fishing on the lower Potomac.
Thanks to all y'all for the info !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'll bet the next lunar cycle and series of cold snaps is going to have the ocean fish make an appearance. The end of 2014 we were catching good numbers of mid to high 20s which should come back as low 30"ers but when they get that big its all about where the bunker are.

6 years ago we had an epic run. 50* water, new moon, lots of bait and 100+ 35-42" fish each day begining the week before thanksgiving though the end of the year. Then 4 years of relative nothingness.... cycles

After this weekend Im out until Dec. Should be just right then!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had to do some trailer maintenance yesterday, so even though the wind was blowing, I splashed the boat and worked on the trailer. Around 3pm, decided to put the boat back on the trailer, but before that, headed out to the mouth of the Piankatank to see if anything was going on. Could see some birds working, including gannets around #3. About 4 pm, birds were freakin' everywhere. Covered almost the entire mouth of the river.

Only had my caster with me, with a white 1 oz bucktail/4" tail on it and starting casting into the birds. For the next hour, caught plenty of 17 to 19 inch fish, all throwbacks (damn it) and left 'em biting at sunset.

Hadn't expected to get any action but was pleasantly surprised, even if they were small fish.

Water had laid down very nicely, even though there were white caps in the river earlier in the day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
we went out Tuesday afternoon to 2R as the fog lifted. Stopped and jigged up a 18" throwback. Birds were everywhere but only a few feeding.
I can see boats going out this morning from my deck here on G.I. I'll be out this afternoon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good luck this weekend pounce! As the big fish come in from ocean do you switch to umbrella s and parachute s similar to spring fishing? I would probably have a heart attack if I got into schools of 35 inchers !! Tell us what happens tomorrow !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yesterday was very good! Birds in all the usual locations and a much better grade of fish than the last 2 weeks. Still lots of throwbacks but there are some VERY nice fish mixed in!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are the rocks still feeding under the birds? Can u still top water fish them? Or are you trolling? I am headed out Monday 23 . looks colder not sure what affect that has? Anybody headed out this week end?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.