Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Just a quick question while hideing inside from the cold rerigging for warmer weather that will take forever to get here. I have a 12 boone bird that I have thrown in the spread a few times and never hooked anything with it, I usually trail it with a green machine. First Question: Where have people had succuss with this in their spread, I have seen it run on the wwtfb but it seems like it would make more sense in a short shotgun position? Second question: How long of leader to you put on the trailer (green machine)?
Third: I aslo have a bird chain that I have run on the short rigger, What is the most effective trailer for that and how long of leader for the Trailer behind the chain?
Thanks in adavance
Taylor

·
Registered
915 Posts
leader- anywhere from 6-15ft. Shorter leader=easier gaff. Try throwing something else behind it like a naked hoo or skirted hoo. If I run one its usually WWWFB but I have replaced it with a spreader bar deep and have been pleased with the results. I like a sea witch trailer off the mini bird chain in the short rigger position. 12ft leader. Hope that helps,

Carson

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Caught alot of yf on the bird and gm wwwwwb. I use a 15'leader. Also run a short one down the center have had great results. I use the mini green machines. Also try to run meat behind one they will have great results as well. Good luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys for the help. Good question about the spreader bar aslo, I have one that I have pulled of the short rigger and produced but was a pain because it kept poping the pins. I always thought those things were ment to be pulled hanging half way out of the water where are you guys runing them? Last year the bar hung a 35lb bull and that was pretty exciting to leader thats alot of stuff to deal with.
Thanks again
Taylor

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I think a bird can be effective no matter where you fish it. For me, it usually ends up on the Shotgun bait just a bit behind my longriggers. Behind a bird, I have run a daisy chain of small chuggers followed by a Green Machine and caught fish...I have also run just a sea witch/hoo and it worked. The past year or so, I have been fishing a Blue/White Ilander flasher with a Select Bally and it has accounted for a couple nice Yellowfins and some nice Wahoo.

As for spreader bars, I run three. One off each short rigger and one short in the middle. I plan on running a bird bar I bought last year (Reel Draggin) off my shotgun this year. The bars to run from your riggers are the lightweight 32-34" bars made by Reel Draggin or Canyon Runner. These stay in the clips and run very well no matter where you put them...The bars I run in the short middle are 48" Titanium and have too much drag to put in the riggers so I run it from the rod tip. I use 7-8" squids on the short rigger bars and 12-15" squids on my larger 48" bars...

Good luck out there

Glenn

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The bird

We run our bird wwtfb with a green machine on about 8-10ft leader. When it is a slow bite, this combo is a consistent producter. It is important that your speed is right so the bird is walking/cutting-up the water. Too slow and it will not draw the strike. I believe just about anytihing behind the bird will work, we just like the green machine.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I like a 12'' Boone pink bird with a regular Green Machine and then a weighted one.The leader is 9 feet long and the regular Green Machine is about 4 feet in front of the weighted one.I like 100lb leader for this rig.

You can make a weighted one by using 1/2 egg sinkers instead of the red beads ;-).

It can be ran WWWWB or off a corner rod about 70 feet back.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Something to think about

The bird with some sort of trailing daisy chain has been a very effective lure way back down the middle. We have spent the last four years fishing from several boats trying to determine just where is the "best" place to fish a bird. Here are of our thoughts:
Yellow Fin
- We keep it tight. Keep the bird bars and teasers in the center of the spread. That means a big bird and chain in short shotgun and 16 inch bird bars in the shortriggers. The long riggers have 32" spreader bars run further back. The flat lines usually have hoo rigged hard heads, chuggers or small slammers, running them short, in front of the short rigger Bird bars.
This has been VERY effective. The birds cause LOTS of surface action, you want to draw the Tuna to the center of your spread, not 600 feet behind your spread. This enhances the probability that you will get multiple knock downs vice the lone long rigger running off.

Blue Fin
Different story. We have fished two methods hard. When Blues are deep they can be hard to bring up. Lots of surface action with BIG 13" birds, 9" Chick Birds and Humming Bird Spreader Bars can be the trick to entice them up for lunch. Although, this has been a test of patience at times and often they just will not rise. Over the last three years we have worked hard on slow trolling DEEP rigs with planers and down riggers. By FAR, this has been the most consistant. Deep SLOW trolled Sport Dredges, Daisy Chains, Slammers and Hoo Rigged chuggers, hard heads and our 200s3 have been the hot action lures in 2008. Last year we often raised 10 to 15 100# class BFT before noon on our day trips.
Some of the HOT colored birds:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bird with some sort of trailing daisy chain has been a very effective lure way back down the middle. We have spent the last four years fishing from several boats trying to determine just where is the "best" place to fish a bird. Here are of our thoughts:
Yellow Fin
- We keep it tight. Keep the bird bars and teasers in the center of the spread. That means a big bird and chain in short shotgun and 16 inch bird bars in the shortriggers. The long riggers have 32" spreader bars run further back. The flat lines usually have hoo rigged hard heads, chuggers or small slammers, running them short, in front of the short rigger Bird bars.
This has been VERY effective. The birds cause LOTS of surface action, you want to draw the Tuna to the center of your spread, not 600 feet behind your spread. This enhances the probability that you will get multiple knock downs vice the lone long rigger running off.

Blue Fin
Different story. We have fished two methods hard. When Blues are deep they can be hard to bring up. Lots of surface action with BIG 13" birds, 9" Chick Birds and Humming Bird Spreader Bars can be the trick to entice them up for lunch. Although, this has been a test of patience at times and often they just will not rise. Over the last three years we have worked hard on slow trolling DEEP rigs with planers and down riggers. By FAR, this has been the most consistant. Deep SLOW trolled Sport Dredges, Daisy Chains, Slammers and Hoo Rigged chuggers, hard heads and our 200s3 have been the hot action lures in 2008. Last year we often raised 10 to 15 100# class BFT before noon on our day trips.
Some of the HOT colored birds:
Thats what I had kinda thought, the bird and noise make more since tight in the spread to me. Everyone you talk to says way back though. Thanks for the detailed analysys. Your sight also has some good info on small boat spreads.
Taylor

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
No question that the lone way back bird bar or chain gets hit. Lots of folks put it there because it is successful. I just hate seeing six tuna explode on a single lure WAY WAY back behind the boat. I rather have them explode in the center where everyone gets to eat, as such we keep it tight as noted:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts