Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sanity
Thanks for the kind words. Question for you, how large do you make your photos (pixels) to post. I've been making mine at 1024 pixels and look to me to be way to large.
Wayne B.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Wayne,

I usually don't do "pixels" but MB. I usually use a resolution of 72 because that's all the internet needs and then keep the pics about 1 MB. When the site resizes them, they come out a "reasonable" size. I do it more for their bandwidth than for my preferences. It lets people get an idea of your photo without making it difficult for them to upload. Some folks machines are real slow, so I just try to make it easier on them.

It also is a resolution and size that keeps copying them to a minimum, which isn't a big problem but I keep that in mind. It's like when you allowed me to play with your duck and deer photos. It was more difficult to blow it up and not pixelate it if its smaller. People can still use them as "screensavers" but they can't really get a quality print.

It's just something to keep in mind if you don't copyright or watermark things. I don't like watermarks because they often show up in all the wrong places in the photo.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thought you'd like to see what we had in our yard today!

Earlier in the week I saw a Bald Eagle sitting in a field by the house and today I see this!

Wonder if a Bald Eagle and a robin …… nah!!! Can't happen:eek2:

Not as strikingly beautiful as the other photos on this thread but very unusual!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Dan, as a member of the follicularly challenged group.....I empathize with that bird. He is a strange one and he can't even get the season right!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sleeves, Thanks for the kind words.

Like you I have many bird feeders and suet located around my property. The limited success I've had so far is to locate the feeders close to or over ground cover with lots of natural protection and light for best exposure. A blind helps and I use several. They range from the simple camo throw over cloth, a one-man portable blind that I carry in the field sometimes, to the very permanent very natural one made of wild tall grasses very close to the feeders. Through trial and error I've found the best method to date for common yard birds is to stand very still, most birds don't seem to mind. As for lenses and cameras like any other hobby it depends on what you can afford. Yes, the better the glass the better the image and detail. And yes I have and use high-end amateur stuff and shoot mostly in raw. But truthfully some of my personal best landscape, birds, and wildlife shots have been taken with a Cannon Powershot 2 10X optical that cost at the time less then $300. Now Cannon makes a Powershot SX10 (10 megapixel) with 20Xoptical/4X digital (=500 mm) for $399.99. Nikon makes the Coolpix P80 18X optical/ 4X digital. Both cameras are very light, affordable, and do a super job.

Probably more info then you need but I hope it helps.
Wayne

Her are two websites I found very informative and helpful.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=conowingo+eagle&m=text

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Ruger, loved you're Gnatcatcher and, Pa Bred, that's the weirdest Robin I've ever seen. Funny what makes a good picture. Sometimes its the subject, sometimes its the setting, the light, the shapes, the colors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts