Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
BKD's
Come in 6" and 10"
Made from a tougher plastic formulation that will hold up to more than twice as many strikes/fish as a BA, and may survive a nip from a bluefish.
Are thinner throughout the body and there's not much "meat" to it. For this reason, it's been my finding that BKD's will catch more fish than BA's when the forage is small, like anchovies and silversides.
Cost less than a BA.

BA's
Come in 5" and 7"
Softer plastic that tears easier and forget about using them when blues are around.
Have a thicker body that I feel fish hold onto longer. If the forage larger, like peanut bunker, baby croakers/trout, etc. the BA is the better match.
Are more expensive.

Personally, I think the BA is the better lure and I'd use them exclusively if not for the cost/durability issues. When I'm "prospecting" and trying to figure out the pattern, I will most likely use a BA. Once we're dialed in to the bite, I'll go to the BKD.

FWIW...YMMV

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
5" BA's and 6" BKD's are pretty close. I normally won't take either off to put another on. If the fish are there, they are gonna bite it.

10" BKD catch large fish like no other, they are just the ticket to catch big fish. I will use them almost exclusively form March until May, and I use them alot in november and december.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
Have both brands on hand....

Click on Links Below:Tom Hughes Guide ServiceClick on Links Below:
2007 Lecture Series-2/14 & 2/17Full TimeSusquehanna Flats
2007 Seminars-3/3Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide2006 Photos

I strongly recommend that you carry both brands from 5" to 10" in your tackle box. There will be times when one will out catch the other. I witnessed this earlier this month at the CBBT when fishing with Palm Pilot, Whalen, Ron, Capt. John Deering and Ron.

Capt. John and I were casting BKD's and were catching a few stripers while Palm Pilot, Whalen, and Ron were using BA's and catching one nice striper after another.

I know this from experimenting. If you just want to catch large stripers, use a 10" Bass Kandy Delight.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I use them both plus the 9'' Sluggo if I find them on sale.One trick that I do is too put 5 or so in a sandwich bag and spray in one of the fish attractor oils.Let them soak it up.Seems to help in cold water-I feel the fish hold it a second or two longer which gives me more time to set the hook.Really helps on the tough days.First rock I caught on the 10" BKD was about 19''s. :p Real good lure for springtime casting. Skip

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I use 5 and 7" BAs for largemouth bass fishing. I never heard of a BKD before I moved here. For largemouth, it's great fun to rig them weedless (keep the hook tip inside the plastic), no weight, just a swivel and short leader. Cast into brush or way back into cover in Spring and early summer. You can drag them right though the junk or over lillypads. When they fall off, let them sink slowly, then twitch back up toward the surface. Watch your line as it sinks. Count to 4 before setting the hook. Killer bait. I'm hoping to catch some calm days on the flats this spring to try floating them like that for rockfish. -Shawn

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Several years ago on TidalFish I learned of the benefits of super gluing BAs to jig hooks. I've been doing it ever since with all soft plastics. Nothing gets my briefs in a bunch as much as when my BA keeps sliding off the jig collar. A properly glued BA will last many times longer than non-glued BAs. Well worth the extra time. On more than one occasion, after a heavy day of striper catching, my BA will be as fuzzy as my thumb. Currently, my super glue of choice is "Future Glue" sold at Wal-Mart. Its sold in a little plastic vile with a brush applicator, much like fingernail polish. This vile with applicator brush doesn't clog or cake up as much as the old pointy tipped applicators. The only time gluing isn't worth the extra trouble is when blue are in the area.

50/50 - Back to your question... I agree with others that theres no difference between freshwater or saltwater versions of BAs. When I first saw them listed as such in the BA website, I had speculated that the saltwater version might be made of a tougher formula. But apparently not. I can't say as I have ever seen them listed as fresh or salt in tackle stores or catalogs.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I know others have said the same thing but I have to add just my little 2 cents. I was nothing but a BA user until I started using BKD’s. I don’t think I will use anything else from now on. I think they last a lot longer then BA. I use to glue them on like Howard but now since I have the confidence in the BKD I won’t go back to BA’s. Capt. Steve taught me a little trick about keeping the BKD on your jig, take a knife and dig into your jig head and pull back some of the lead on the jig head it helps keep the BKD on the jig.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Just realized I got sidetracked and didn't answer the question. (Back to freshwater BAs vs saltwater.) I believe there is a difference in the formulation of the plastic. I don't know this for a fact, but I think they're adding a fish attractant and more salt to the saltwater lures. They're probably thinking that it's easier to get a chemical reaction in saltwater to release more scent. I could be wrong, but I'd bet on it. -Shawn

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent brothers,
I agree that you need to have 7" BA's and the big BKD's in your tackle box. I like the 6" BKD's better then the 5" BA's for a number of different reasons, but; mostly cause they are more durable..

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I use both but prefer BKDs for all the reasons mentioned above. However, at night (or in muddy water) if the current will allow, I go to a paddletail BA. They "push" water and the fish seem to find them more often than a straight tail of either brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts