Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any size piece of Rockfish fillet will do. Remove all dark meat. Take a fillet and coat both side with melted butter. Sprinkle both sides heavily with Paul Purdonne Seafood Blackening rub. It cost $3.50 at all grocery stores. Heat cast iron skillet on gas stove or better yet on side burner on gas grill outside for about 10 minutes. Cook fillets @ 4-5 minutes a side. Its gonna get smokey if you do this in the house. Remove fish from pan and bake in oven at 350 degress for @ 15 minutes to make sure inside gets done all the way. Thicker fillets require no more than 15 minutes. Serve with rice and cold beer and watch your tongue "slap your brain"

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I see the recipe calls for melted butter on the fillets. But do you also add any sort of oil in the frying pan before adding the fish?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I see the recipe calls for melted butter on the fillets. But do you also add any sort of oil in the frying pan before adding the fish?
HJS, my wife uses the same recipe and does not put oil in the pan. Also just cooks the fish approx 5 minutes a side but does not then place in the oven. Very good I must add!
Lance

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is damn good,

I've been using Cajun's Choice though, and it's spicy as hell, when you inevitably do smoke up the house, its very hard on the eyes, totally worth it though. I enjoyed this with wild rice pilaf w/ celery, onions and pineapple.

Cold beer is a MUST

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
A friend of mine who owned a restaurant showed me this about 20 years ago and he only used butter and then melted a little on top of the cooked fillets when they were done.My wife makes good cajun toast.I call it"Blackened Toast' she makes it for me for breakfast.:))

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Clarified butter works best as the cream in regular butter will burn, clarified butter has a much higher burn temp..you can make it or buy it..

also If you live nearby, Franks Seafood market in Jessup as an awesome blackening spice (not to salty).

You can do it on the grill using a folding basket device..works real good..

·
Registered
335 Posts
i second blackened rockfish its epic...make sure you throw some lime on there right before you chow down....

cheers

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Yea fresh lime!

also we ofen eat it with a sweet/hot chilee sauce we get at an asian market. Really good with the hot hot blacken spice coating..

Just made blackened jumbo White Bass fillets (from Jessup market the fish were about 12-14"). WB is a great eating fish..looks like a WP crossed with a striper (its what the make hybrid striper from, crossed with a regular striper..)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts