Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dam flow/condition too dangerous for kayaks.
Postponed until next weekend.

Podcast #99
Interview with Andrea Danucalov from Conowingo Dam.
Info on the fish lifts. Snakeheads, blue cats, eels, shad, bird flu, etc.

Interview with Dan Berlin of Port Deposit and the festival.

Yes, I am aware some are not on FB.
If you join, you do not need to post any personal info that the public can see.
Just use your access to browse the massive info available and leave your home page empty.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wasn't planning to compete in this tournament but the decision to postpone makes sense. For some of the participants in a kayak who are used to fishing tidal backwaters, the river current and its boulders can be a different world. Also, there is almost no shore access at the dam right now. The dam is still technically operating under "spill conditions" which means no shore access to fish and the trail from the dam parking lot heading south is closed due to an avian flu outbreak. Not to mention, a festival in the rain doesn't attract a lot of people. The river has calmed down over the last couple days and gauging stations in PA forecast it to continue going down over the next 3 days. I'm still planning to fish the Bubba's Catfish Tournament organized by Harford Crabbing & Tackle.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Chris,
I searched, Bubba's Catfish Tournament organized by Harford Crabbing & Tackle, and it didn't have anything for tomorrows event, just one from 2020.
Do you have a link for the 5/14/2022 tournament?
Thanks

.EDIT:
I just called Harford Crab and Tackle and spoke to Kim.
Not advertised anywhere. Just a fun tournament. Food and drink during weigh in.

Entry- $20.00 Paid ahead of time. Will take a CC over the phone.
When- 5/14/22
Time- 6AM start. Must weigh in at the store by 2PM. 3 fish max.
Fish-able waters- "Conowingo Dam to the Flats", were her words.
I take it that is including the Flats. Turkey Point to Sandy Point southern boarder.
Do not take my words for it. Check with HC+T.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Caz Kenny is hilarious. He said the Snakeheads ate all the Craw fish and Frogs in Blackwater.so he thought killing the Snakeheads would fix it. Carp eat a tremendous amount of Craw fish and Bass eat a tremendous amount of Frogs. Now, he's offering package deals to come down and help him fix the problem he created by killing the Snakeheads and fish for all the Carp they now have that the Snakeheads were eating. For only $350 a day He'll take you Carp fishing to help him fix his own self created problem .What a scam. At Conowingo. they had hordes of fishermen coming from all overt fish for Snakeheads. The DNR decided to remove all the Snakeheads they could and make a deal with JJ Mcdonalds of Jessup's Fish Market to take the fish. He get's half the fish for him self and processes the other half to give to soup kitchens . All the Fishermen who bought licenses to fish for Snakeheads at Conowingo have barely caught any Snakeheads since they started the program. Last year they were doing good until they started removing them from the fish lift. They got the shaft. Let em fish for Catfish . there will be more now than ever now that the Snakeheads aren't eating any Catfish either.. They fixed that problem too. They expect you to believe that Snakeheads eat all the Bass and other popular fish .Snakeheads eat a lot f Carp and Gizzard Shad.. The more they come the dumber they get. Did you hear record number of Eels, 625.000 Eels? Do you think it was because of more Snakeheads or less Stripers? No brainer.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
Have you been up to the dam this week Jeff? We're going to go up after this guy comes to get the kayak I have for sale.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
No. Closed due to spill conditions.

Is Lapidum closed too? I have plenty of shad if you need some for the weekend. I think I still have a dozen whole shad in the freezer.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
No, Lapidum should be open.

Of course it should. you fish there. It will be on the 1st. of June if there were striped bass charter boats up there it would be opened now.. they never should have opened it during spawning season any where in the Bay to begin with . The charter boats complained. and won,. Those Snakeheads are up Conowingo Dam for a reason, says Caz Kenny? Yes Caz ,for the same reason all the other fish are up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts