Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Merc 200 EFI locked up 15 miles off shore. Ran great all day! Thank God for Sea Tow! Anyway, there was a few rattles then she shut slam off. Just a click on the key when trying to restart. There is milky substance in the lower unit. I hope that the bearings went out in the lower unit versus throwing a rod. I tried to put the throttle in gear, it only goes a certain distance foreward then gets tight!

Does anyone have any recomendations, and is rebuilding a lower unit a job that I should even consider? Or, is there anyone reading this that does this for a living and I can bring the lower unit for a rebuild on the side---- Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You can check out your lower uint your self. Start by draining the oil and check for metal. The first thing to go in a lower uint is the sector gear on the end of the drive shaft. this is made to brake first. it is also the cheapest thing in the lower unit. Also take the lower unit off the motor. take out your plugs then spin the fly wheel by hand. This will tell you if it is your lower unit or the power head.

·
Premium Member
26,250 Posts
The milky color tells you water get into the lower unit lube.Try putting the motor in nuetral and try to turn the prop by hand.If it won't spin-then most likely the lower unit is bad.This is good because that is much cheaper then a powerhead.Did you change the lower unit lube before winter ?Was the lube milky then ? If you ever see milky lube-it means the seal is leaking. Good luck-let us know what you find out . Skip

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Pull the LU, pull spark plugs and see if the engine turns freely by hand. If it's just a bearing in the LU it's not too hard to fix but the whole thing needs to some apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel sick

The good news is I think the lower unit is all right. Bad news, I checked my oil reserve tank. I traveled about 75 miles in the boat and burned 2 quarts of oil. I had a buddy top off the oil before we left the ramp. The top was extremely loose. It is suppose to be tight for a sealed oil pick-up. I think a cylinder or two blew up!!! I feel sick! Anyone do any repairs on the side, Barter for work- My wife just drained my tax money and my savings- (her car blew up same day!)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Seasnake,

Depending on what kinda boat you are running those oil numbers could be high, low or right on. If you are "averaging" 3 miles to the gallon over that 75 miles then your motor would be injecting the oil at a 50:1 ratio. (2 qts x 50 = 100 qts (or 25 gallons) of gas to go 75 miles is your 3 mpg figure)You're probaby fine there.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The lower unit at least has seal problems, probably at the water pump. Do a compression test on the engine. Even if you only crank it without starting it when checking compression it may reveal some clues to the extent of any damage. A borescope would help if can locate one.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
GGendel, This has to be the same person... No way that could happen to 2 people at the same time . BTW It's not the fault of the cap being on loose. That motor should not have blown cause of that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am the buddy that filled up the oil, and apparently didn't screw the cap on well. I didn't think it was my fault, but I still feel terrible!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have not had the time to do anything with the boat motor yet. I am still working with the dealership on the wife's van that blew up the same day. What a nightmare! Anyway- I am not blaming anyone except myself. Bottom line is that I am responsible as the boat owner for maintaining the boat and motor and keeping them sea worthy.

You always have to remember that Sh&^ happens and if you have a boat you just increased your risks. It is what it is, and I will handle it. GGENDEL, you will always be welcome on my boat! We had a great fishing trip with two stories of luck- the fishing rod and the fact we made it to a depth the anchor would hold. And that we got through to sea tow immediately! Thank God for sea tow!!!

I hope to have the motor apart this weekend and find out what exactly I am facing. I will keep you posted. I will tell you this... I am adding a oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge! I am also stumped as to why a low oil alarm did not go off. I did not look at the oil tank on the motor. I will look this evening when I get home to see what is in there. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Final analysis- The #3 cylinder rod shaft broke off at the lower bearing in the bottom of the crank case. There is a hole in the side of the lower head and the rod is in pieces. The oil tank on the motor was slam full of oil. No problem with the loose cap on the primary oil tank.

Any one know if I am better off selling this motor for parts and replace it or should I repair it? I was told by a friend that it would probably be around $3,000.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It would depend on your budget ? Do you have a reputable mechanic, that will give you a firm price ? There are some excellent marine mechanics around. The dealers have factory trained mechanics, but a lot of them sub-contract the major motor rebuilds, then tack on their profit . Many questions here for you to answer. If there is "EVER A GOOD TIME", for this to happen, they may not be too backed up with work, just yet, and you'll have your engine repaired before the season gets going good. In a couple weeks they will soon be backed up maybe 4-6 weeks, in the Baltimore area , they will, don't know where you are located ?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Seasnake, Your a good man. I'm sure your buddy feels bad about this and you sound like a person of quality. This stuff happens and I'm sure my time will come one day also... Good luck to ya. You may want to get a rebuilt block for the unit and be done with it. If the oil alarm did not sound and the heat alarm did not sound then it just plain ole broke....

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I saw the posts over at THT and the one thing that stood out was that nobody could agree whether a loose cap could cause a problem. I haven't looked im my manual yet. Common sense would tell you to put any cap on tight, but if cap tightness is critical to engine life you should have let your HO know and/or checked it yourself. I know your HO feels bad about the situation, I'm anal and nobody touches my engine, 21 years and still going strong. You did the honorable thing and let your HO off the hook, stuff happens with engines. You should be able to pick up a rebuilt powerhead for a decent price with a bit of warranty unless your handy and have time to dig in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am worried about trusting this motor again even if rebuilt. I do a lot of offshore with it. I think I need to hit the lottery and buck up and get a new motor. I think the gas savings may pay for it over the years also. Dang they are expensive, though!

·
Registered
111 Posts
A 2-stroke engines oil tank is not affected by whether the cap is off,loose or tight because the pump inside the tanks are low pressure.Something we are seeing happen to alot of 2stroke engine right now is boats not running 10 micron fuel filters and running the water that is in the fuel into it blowing the head gasket or the ethonal washing out the fuel tank of the mtbe residue,clogging up the injector or carb running the engine lean.Both of these are causing them to either toss a rod or lock up.The point is that it may have not been your oil tank that failed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts