Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at U-5 Foods in Federalsburg yesterday to buy some blood worms. I was going to try them for a change. But they cost too much for me to try. One bag of worms cost $ 12.00. One dollar a worm. I don't know anything about buying blood worms. Is that a good price? I am going to stick with lures.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not a good price unless exceptional quality and size. But unfortunately $11-$12 is a common price, at least on western side of Bay.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I stopped at U-5 Foods in Federalsburg yesterday to buy some blood worms. I was going to try them for a change. But they cost too much for me to try. One bag of worms cost $ 12.00. One dollar a worm. I don't know anything about buying blood worms. Is that a good price? I am going to stick with lures.
Yeah, that's the going rate. I paid $11.49 for the bag I bought this year. I think the cheapest I've seen is $8.50 a bag in Chincoteague VA (maybe it was $9.50) last year, but that's by far the cheapest I've seen them. They've been at least $8+ for as long as I can remember.....I can remember my grandfather complaining about the price 25 years ago like it was yesterday.

However, I used a couple last night, and if they're decent worms, you can get up to about 6-8 baits per worm. I fished with my daughters last night and we used 3 worms in 2 hours. Put them in the fridge, and flip the bag over every day or two. They last much longer that way. And last night....we started with nightcrawlers.....barely had a bite in 20 minutes. Switched to bloods and caught non stop.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I froze some last year with kosher salt. Heard this works to preserve them. Intended to use them a week or 2 later but never did. Never tried it but I'll find out later this year. Not sure if this is meant to work only for a few weeks or if it works on extended freezes but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I salted-and-froze bloods all the time, with v. good success. Kosher salt is good, but any salt without iodine is fine; the iodine flavor/smell apparently unpleasant for fish. Salt sold as sea salt, Himalayan salt, Dead Sea salt, aquarium salt and probably many other real and imagined names will do fine.

2 suggestions: cut the worms into bait sized pieces before you freeze them Also one day's fishing amount them into snack sized ziplocks. Grab however number of baggies you need for the day and go. A dozen bloods can hold you for many trips this way.

warning; when you first salt the live bloods, they will "pop" and squirt blood all over everything. Don't try this while SWMBO is watching

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Watch a u tube with these guy's bending over all day .day after day and tell me a $1.00 is to much a worm those poor bastards stand in that stinkin mud and get a quarter a worm.ill pay 12.00 cut them all up1" and u got alot of bait.:fishing2:

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch a u tube with these guy's bending over all day .day after day and tell me a $1.00 is to much a worm those poor bastards stand in that stinkin mud and get a quarter a worm.ill pay 12.00 cut them all up1" and u got alot of bait.:fishing2:
But some of us catch fish with lures. That is why we won't pay 12.00 a doz. for them. If we were bait only, then I would pay to play.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last year I was buying my bloodworms at Shore Sportsman in Easton. They had 1/2 dozen "Selects" for $17.00. Those suckers were 12 to 16 inches long. You could get a lot of baits out of just one bloodworm.

Ken

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Last year I was buying my bloodworms at Shore Sportsman in Easton. They had 1/2 dozen "Selects" for $17.00. Those suckers were 12 to 16 inches long. You could get a lot of baits out of just one bloodworm.

Ken
Those sound like the ones that we routinely get in New England, known up there as "sea worms".

Those Yankees let some of the good one slip though!
:devil2:

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I remember buying a dozen blood worms at Paul's Tackle Shop in Ocean City for surf fishing in 1963. They were $1.25 / dozen and that seemed more to me then than it does now. Funny how people buy expensive boats, custom rods and reels, cases of beer and then complain about the cost of worms.:hysterical::hysterical:..........Gary

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I remember buying a dozen blood worms at Paul's Tackle Shop in Ocean City for surf fishing in 1963. They were $1.25 / dozen and that seemed more to me then than it does now. Funny how people buy expensive boats, custom rods and reels, cases of beer and then complain about the cost of worms.:hysterical::hysterical:..........Gary
You old Fart. :))..How Ya' doin' Gary?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Good Mike. Still got money for blood worms but not much more!! Leaving the nursing home to fish tomorrow!! lol How you doing??
Hangin' in there ,day by day. Suppose to deliver My Hydra-Sport to a New owner tomorrow..I'll miss Her,Been an open check Book and ALOT of Lovin' for 16 yrs,!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts