Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a dozen jumbos today from Chesapeake on way to boat - got to boat - fuel leak under cowling, long story short no fishing today.

Any tips to storing the worms? At 18.00 a dozen want to preserve them somehow.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Bought a dozen jumbos today from Chesapeake on way to boat - got to boat - fuel leak under cowling, long story short no fishing today.

Any tips to storing the worms? At 18.00 a dozen want to preserve them somehow.
Keep them in the fridge and turn them once a day......... Gary

·
Registered
236 Posts
Separate then from the sea grass and put them in a baggy with lots of coarse KOSHER SALT and in to the freezer. This is good for long storage . When you use them they are easier to put on the hook, and work just as good as fresh. Try doing this with half of your Bloodworms and see if it works for you.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Quality worms will last about a week in your fridge. I take them out of bag and put the sea grass and worms in small plastic bowl with lid.

As Gary mentioned - each day , take time to flip the sea grass and worms over.

Be sure to drain off any moisture.

Tocherman's has a way of keeping bloodworms in a sea water mix. If close - might be worth stopping by and asking them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good / going to try freezing them tonight as this stupid thing called work is interrupting my fishing time.

Anyone try putting them in a food saver bag once salted before freezing?

Or just dumped them without the seaweed in a gallon bag with kosher salt?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Put mine in small tupperware container just make sure it is kosher salt or aquarium salt iodized or table salt will turn them to ****.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've kept them alive and happy for about 10 days by: blow air into the bag they came in (sea grass and all) and secure with twisty tie. Put the plastic bag in a brown paper lunch bag and out in fridge. Each day turn them over and give them a slight shake. I think you will be surprised how long they last. Just mark the brown paper bag so the kids don't take it for their lunch.....😩

Sean. (SeaNic)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Turning them once a day, as others have suggested, is key. I get a week out of them when I do this. I haven't tried the other ideas, but I'm sure they all work.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
"Anyone try putting them in a food saver bag once salted before freezing?" I put them in a sandwich size baggie before freezing. Good way to freeze a few for one day's fishing.

Sea salt and various other gourmet (i.e., espensive) type cooking salt work fine. No, not garlic salt or old bay...stuff like "Himlayan pink salt", "Hawaiian black lava salt" and other way overpriced salt you got for some stupid holiday present. Just as long as it has no iodine. Try cooking with the kosher/sea/fancy salt too. You will quickly learn that iodine tastes bad not only to fish but to people as well. If you eat either seafood (but who does that on this website??) or processed or junk food (which uses tons of salt...but who eats any of that here) you get PLENTY of iodine. It is a necessary ingredient, but you darn sure don't need to have it in the salt you put in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts