Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else catch a bunch of these fish last year?
We used to catch them when I was a kid , but I hadn't
caught any for a long long time. This past year they were back.
I remember they were really good to eat. I may have to keep a few
this year if they are still around.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I caught several, while spot/croaker fishing. I heard ( from trusted person) of 100's being caught on the piankatank.
40 yrs ago me and My granddad used to catch alot, In the past 20yr, I had only one good yr.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I caught a boat load on the Lower Potomac near the mouth of the Coan late this Summer. I was using old, nasty, stinky, rotten bloodworms. They are so expensive I decided to use the dead ones. The blow toads ate them up. Ran out of the old bloodworms, started using new, fresh, live bloodworms and the only thing I caught after that was Spot. So if you have old rotten bloodworms, target the sugar toads/blowfish!
-makoman

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I managed to catch a few sugar toads at the mouth of the Great Wicomico on bloodworm fishbites. Colorful little critters.

They must also be catching a bunch in pound nets since I now see VA restaurants offering sugar toads on their menu. The new name of "Sugar toad" sounds better on a restaurant menu rather than the older name of "blow toads".

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I caught them close by one of the pound nets, within a quarter mile or so of the Wicomico light. August. Not sure of the tide. At the same time caught a few small sea bass.

By the way, Sugar Toads were on the menu last summer at Crazy Crab in Reedville.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ate sugar toads at the Crazy Crab this past Halloween for the first time. (Very good white meat) The owner said that they were plentiful in that area (Reedville)

Frito

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Fish around any bridge or seawall in Florida and you can catch millions of them.

But they are so docile, they will eat out of your hand. They won't bite you, either! They will very carefully pluck a piece of shrimp out of your fingers every time, despite their sharp teeth.

After having fed them by hand, the little "herd" followed me as I walked along the shore. I went back to the seawall, and they came back and even let us pet them. It was like they were craving the attention, even though we were out of shrimp!

I never thought I would say this, but these are sweet little animals!

I now have a big soft spot in my heart for these little creatures! I simply cannot bear to kill one anymore.

To anyone who says how good they taste, I bet puppies are delicious, too. If they taste like chicken, why not just eat chicken? At least those are raised for just that purpose.

-TH

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
:) BTW, I kept a reef aquarium for many many yrs. I can relate to your soft spot, I used to think it was cruel when I saw people spear fish -- the same fish - I just paid $100 for and many thousands $ just to keep alive in a big glass box. ( I do understand its no different than my fishing, just seen in a different light)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hey, I was just in Deltaville picking up some of my fishing gear, and checking on my trailer. I was looking for Charlie Brock's place and was unsure which place was his.. Anyway it was Charlie and his nieghbor that told me about the 100's being caught last spring.. (close to his place)

·
Registered
11 Posts
guys, this is an interesting topic. i have to tell you about a trip on a headboat out of panama city fla. when we set up over productive bottom and started bailing fish, i caught a blowtoad which intrigued some other anglers, but the mate came running over screaming "don't touch that fish, it's poisonous". i told him i ate them all the time back home, but he was crazy about not touching it. he even put on rubber gloves to take it off the hook. just thought i'd pass this story along.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts