Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I did the "practice" flyovers a couple years ago. I felt they did more flying during the practice. My instinct was to get a good way up the Severn among all the boats (which I did); but in reality, anywhere out front of the Severn (like inside Hackets Bar) would have been OK. They flew down the river, across the bay, and turned over Kent Island and returned back upriver. If you do get upriver; they feel almost close enough to touch.
It is a sight to see. Puts a lump in your throat (at least it did mine) and gives you goosebumps for being so proud of the young men and women serving in the armed forces. I would honestly take my kids out of school to see it!!
Enjoy
5th

·
Registered
437 Posts
Practice is Tuesday May 19 and the actual demonstration is Wednesday May 20. Don't have the time but google the blue angels schedule or the Academy's commencement schedule. Get right in the mix in the river just be careful when leaving.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
I like to anchor in middle of river - in the fleet of boats. Look around and try not to be close to taller yachts - these can block your view.

If that area is too crowded - I go to north a touch and anchor in mouth of Carrs Creek - north west of Green Bury Point ( tall towers ).

Often the jets loop around those towers and fly low.

Take binoculars - great for spotting the jets - often they disappear for few seconds.

When show is over - I like to motor slowly to Carrs Creek. It is tricky to get into but offers escape from the washing machine seas created when 1,000 boats all leave at various speeds and headings.

Watch Caddy Shack to get idea of how it is.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We always anchor in between the Rt 50 and Severn River Bridge. We do not go up in the mixing bowl and the show on either day is about the same, if the weather is the same. The practice show is the same as the "show" on Wednesday. I have always taken my kids out of school...except one year I didn't...their classrooms were empty and I vowed to never do that again. We do the same as Skip, when the show is over, just duck into a near by creek, anchor for about an hour or so, listening to music, relaxing, etc...you'll miss all a the big boat wakes and cruise home with no worries.

My problem now is both my kids can take the boat out on their own (19 & 17 yrs old)...I'm just trying to catch a ride now amoungst alll the teenager boat floatillas.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anybody know an approx. time? I looked on the angels site and found no specific info on time. I was actually thinking about crabbin on tues morning but maybe not if its a busy time

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Tuesday, May 19, the Blue Angels will perform circle and arrival maneuvers between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. followed by a rehearsal of their flight demonstration between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
Wednesday, May 20, the Blue Angels performance and flight demonstration will begin at 2 p.m.

·
Registered
314 Posts
After several years of going to the practice show by boat my releatives from out of town (who don't want to be on the boat for 5-6hrs) want me to take them to the show.

I am going Wednesday. Can anyone advise a good place (and directions) to go by land?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Joe,

You may be better off on land. The winds are really going to make for a bumpy ride on Wed. Any place in downtown Annapolis will work. Walk out to the end of the parking pier. Only advise is to get there early

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
After several years of going to the practice show by boat my releatives from out of town (who don't want to be on the boat for 5-6hrs) want me to take them to the show.

I am going Wednesday. Can anyone advise a good place (and directions) to go by land?
Several years ago, My family and I went to the Naval Academy, walked to the athletic fields and watched from there. At that time there wasn't any hassle getting into the academy. Also watch at the seawall too. Take chairs to sit or blanket. Also the chow hall had awesome food.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Joe,

You may be better off on land. The winds are really going to make for a bumpy ride on Wed. Any place in downtown Annapolis will work. Walk out to the end of the parking pier. Only advise is to get there early
THANKS....dread getting into the hoards of people. Would rather be surrounded by water. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Is it worth anchoring up and watching from upriver from the Rt 50 bridge? I don't have a strong desire to bring a boat full of kids into the "washing machine".

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Go to Greenbury point. It is a bit of a walk but parking in the past has been easy and the walk and views are beautiful. We did this last year and threw the bikes in the back of the truck since my boat was in for a service. Be careful to ticks though.

http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/greenpt.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...2!3m1!1s0x89b81d87a8744f21:0xc976def27e2cdb4b

1 - 16 of 16 Posts