Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 21SF Scout for a shake down yesterday out of Hunnington Park. Went to the Merimac Monitor, fished a little, checked the fishfinder plenty of fish not much bitting. The SE wind picked up so I went back to the JRB and checked it, same outcome. Then I decided to go about a mile on the east side and check some oyster beds. It was slick and nice for a short relax, then with some fishbite crab the rod gave me a good tug. I figured a pretty good sized croaker, slow fight because of the cold. It was a Big Ole Blue Cat, about 3 pounds. Seems out of place for a freshwater fish, anyone else caught any this far up the river?:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
They have been cathcing quite a few in the bennets creek recently, which is not that far away. Nice boat as well. I used to have an 18 scout and it was one of the toughest boats that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i know of more than just a few people been catching cats and croakers on the same trips over in portsmouth the past 2 weeks

·
Registered
249 Posts
We caught a small catfish on an umbrella rig in january about 2mi off of Rudee inlet a couple years back. No b.s.! I was mating on the Smokin Gun and it was the day that i got the stretch 25 treble hook lodged nicely into my hand. It was about a 9" long white or channel cat.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
the cats seem to come further down river during the winter and spring...

I've caught tons of them in the Huntington area.. some nice ones too

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
Saltwater Catfish

I don't know where Huntington is...

My neighbor is a waterman on the Rappahannock near Greenvale Creek (up river from Towles Point at N37 42.464 W76 32.770). He catches catfish by the barrel full in his crab pots early in the season. He can't stand the beasts because they eat his crabs.

I'm always surprised to find catfish in saltwater or brackish water but he says that he pulls them from pots down by the Corrotoman River (N37 39.086 W76 28.578) too.

I've heard that they don't taste very good if they've been living in saltwater for any length of time. :confused:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I put in at Huntington yesterday.I caught 6 of them over by tcc in portsmouth in 4 foot of water between 1-3lbs. No croaker though. I was using a bottom rig with squid and shrimp. Where are dem dang croakers ? Been trying to get some folks from work some. Should be biting good pretty soon though.I saved a seagull that had his leg caught in one of the pilons of the old pier but he was in bad shape. There was alot dead birds that died the same way that were still hanging there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hunnington Park is on the Newport News side of the James River Bridge. Nice boat ramp area. A lot a North Carolina fishermen come there and put in for access to the JRB, MM and HRBT. Good to know that others are catching cats there.

Codeman out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Codeman, Just another NC guy that loves to come up to the James. Would love to learn different areas up there. Have fished the JRB, HRBT, and the area in front of the HWTWC. Where is the Merimac Monitor located? And I have run out to the CBBT from HRBT before. If I was going to fish for Flounder around the CBBT, where would it be best to put in? Sorry for all the question, Just love to fish those waters. Thanks Jimmy

·
Registered
397 Posts
MM is between JRB and HRBT. I-664. :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Putting in at Lynnhaven in Virginia Beach is the closest to CBBT. Willoughby Spit has a new facility launching and is at the HRBT.
:boat:

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Mm Is Between The Jrb And The Hrgt. You Can Put In At Little Creek Or Lynhaven To Fish The Cbbt. There Is Also A Puplic Ramp On The Norfok Side Of The Hrbt. You Can Fish There And Then Make A Short Run To The Hampton Bar,the Mm Or Cbbt. You Can Keep Tabs On Some Of The Post And Get I Feel For Where The Fish Are Being Caught.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts