Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the water in the North East river around 7:45am and headed over to the Susquehanna- hung there for a bit, caught an accidental schoolie striper but nothing else for about 30 minutes, and got annoyed by the fleet of boats that amassed.

Left to head over to the west side of Turkey Point between markers 4 and 2- set out 4 rods (2) with raw chicken breast, (1) with cut bunker, (1) with chicken liver. The chicken breast was the clear winner; 4 blue catfish (all on the breast), one too large for my net (a good problem to have, I suppose), and others were all big enough for me to enjoy.

So apparently there are fish in the bay after all.... :)
Food Fish Wood Twig Tail

Water Liquid Fluid Fish Seafood

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
I don't fish for them but I'd much rather use chicken breast than gizzard shad . You gave a very good suggestion for those that go through all the trouble to catch a bucket full or buy those stinky things .If I were going to fish for them on purpose, I'd try a strip of chicken breast on a jig head and cast and retrieve for them. That was a very popular way to fish for Sea Trout in Delaware Bay during the 70s/80s . Sometimes old tricks still work. If I were a catfish , I'd rather eat the chicken too.

·
Premium Member
26,441 Posts
Interesting on the chicken breast - been hearing more and more fishermen using that.

Scary how big these Cats are getting. I bet in few years we will be seeing 50 pounders.

·
Registered
11,907 Posts
I don't fish for them , but I'd much rather use chicken breast than gizzard shad . You gave a very good suggestion for those that go through all the trouble to catch a bucket full or buy those stinky things .If I were going to fish for them on purpose, I'd try a strip of chicken breast on a jig head and cast and retrieve for them
Interesting on the chicken breast - been hearing more and more fishermen using that.

Scary how big these Cats are getting. I bet in few years we will be seeing 50 pounders.
Easy. The more they remove, the more food for the rest of them to eat. I'm thinking at least 75#.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Chicken is my “go-to” in the Potomac. I usually fish there in the winter when other bait is hard to find. $4 will get you a cooler full of blue cats. Sometimes you can find packs of “trimmings” in the grocery store. These cuts are meant for stir fry and have a little fat on them. They work awesome and are often pre cut in a good size for eater grade fish

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love boneless chicken thighs, I've been eating them for years. Thy are delicious Blackened.
I figure the thighs would be cheaper, and more oily. I like boneless thighs only on the grill, never had Blackened thighs will have to try. I am sure I would love them. I purchase 2 breast from Weis in Damascus it was $13+ so breast is not cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts