Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my adult son down to the Choptank River to hopefully get some White Perch in 2 weeks. He caught a small ~ 5lb Blue Catfish last year and he was so proud. Would like to invest a few hours targeting Blue Catfish. Not looking for any specific GPS coordinates, rather just a general practices to follow...Do these bigger Blue Catfish frequent deep water, drop-offs, structure? What would be a good depth and strategy to try. I have a 17' jon boat so prefer to stay back in the River inside Chlora Point if possible. It can get too rough out near the mouth of the river.

Plan on taking peeler crab, cut herring, and possibly chicken breast soaked in shedder or bunker oil....Any other baits specific for bigger Blue Catfish?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want blue catfish, go to the Nanticoke or Marsyhope, They are everywhere from Vienna to the Delaware state line. I've caught many blue catfish from a pier in 10 to 15 feet of water. Many in the 4 to 6 pound range. Catching two catfish at a time is not unusual. Cut menhaden, nightcrawlers, bloodworms, and shrimp work great. Tried squid once, but not very effective.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There are blues downriver, but there are more upriver. Dover Bridge area is great. As others have suggested the Marshyhope is full of them. Launch at Federalsburg (free ramp) drive down for a while, several miles. You will go under a low highway bridge. After you go under it, find a bend (deep hole on outside usually) or a nice channel edge and have at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you put in in Federalsburg be very careful the river running from there is pretty hazardous if you don't know your way. The easiest is to run from Vienna or Sharptown. I fish that river a bunch and it is not marked at all and can get skinny real quick if you don't know where the mud flats are....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts