Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Final Seminar of the Public Seminar Series will be this Wednesday June 8th @ 130 pm, on the Campus of the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, in Nice Hall.

Dr Tom Miller, a renown fisheries biologists will be speaking about his research regarding Blue Crabs, and provide info regarding the current population, and managment strategies.

The title of the talk is: "An Update on the Exploitation and Ecology of Blue Crabs in Chesapeake Bay."

For more info, contact me.

or visit:

http://www.cbl.umces.edu/Events/seminars/index.php
Hope to see some of you there.
-Scott

·
Registered
602 Posts
Crow stated that the Dr.'s topic will be," "An Update on the Exploitation and Ecology of Blue Crabs in Chesapeake Bay."

Uh Uh. "Exploitation?"

Webster defines explotation as: "utilization for profit."

LOL, that makes me laugh!

Was he studying "exploitation" or "ecology" of the blue crabs?

I think this "Doctor" had one agenda.

To me, someone who studies whatever, should have no agenda.

Typical tree hugger bull sh*t.

·
Registered
140 Posts
from the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary

ex·ploi·ta·tion
1a utilization or working of a natural resource

From reading the very first definition for "explotation", it appears to me that the Dr. has chosen an appropriate word. So tell me, who's the one with an agenda here? A mirror might help...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Main Entry: 2ex·ploit
Pronunciation: ik-'sploit, 'ek-"
Function: transitive verb
1 : to make productive use of : UTILIZE <exploiting your talents> <exploit your opponent's weakness>
2 : to make use of meanly or unjustly for one's own advantage <exploiting migrant farm workers>

Now you look in the mirrior.

You gave an example, not a definition.

·
Registered
140 Posts
SB, go consult the Merriam-Webster Unabridged dictionary.

ex·ploit
(1): to turn (a natural resource) to economic account.

ex·ploi·ta·tion
(1): an act of exploiting: as a: utilization or working of a natural resource

Furthermore, you fail to consider the audience. Dr. Miller is a fisheries biologist, accustomed to speaking with other biologists. In this context, it's clear that the word "explotation" is intended to mean the "utilization or working of a natural resource".

SB, you never fail to chastise others for leaping to unsupported conclusions - but in this case, you've got a fine set of froglegs yourself. You've managed to figure out Dr. Miller's life story by deconstructing one sentence - amazing!

·
Registered
140 Posts
SB,

What I find interesting about this whole conversation is that, in your orginal post, you chose to incorrectly interpret the word "exploitation".

You had even gone to the trouble to look the word up in the dictionary, but you bypassed all the other definitions (including the appropriate one considering the context and audience) and went straight for the definition that fit your preconceived notion that scientists are simply "out to get" commercial fishing interests.

You may not want to admit it, but the only agenda here is yours. It's evident from the way you chose to interpret the word "explotation". In your mind, there was only one possible meaning for the word - the one that permitted you to stereotype and pigeonhole Dr. Miller as a "tree hugger". It's really one of the most enlightening posts that you've made on TidalFish - congratulations!

·
Registered
602 Posts
You are so wrong. I cut and pasted every word from the site you suggested I visit.

Your scheme backfired and now you are trying to cover it up.

Good day!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jesus Christ People! It's Symantics!

Really, If you'd like to ask Tom about the choice of words for his title...maybe you should come to the seminar! Exploitation is the word used by fisheries biologists to describe a species that is being harvested. It doesnt speak to the level of exploitation.

And Matt, that was a harsh statement dude. Dr Miller is very well published on crabs and his research has contributed to alot of the knowledge of the ecology/life history of blue crabs, I would consider doing your homework before you start showing your ass. AND besides...you've seen him speak twice and you havent asked him? WTF?

Nice job trying to flame something designed for the greater good.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't care if Miller published war and peace about crabs, which I think it is safe to say he has not. I just wanted to know what problems he has solved, because it seems like under the fishing mortality he delineated a few years ago, crabs have remained at a historic low.

Frankly I think you need to do a little homework Scott, because 90% of everything that we need to know about crabs was published in William Warner's pulitzer prize winning book, "Beautiful Swimmers." I am am no longer amazed to see today's "scientists" fail to acknowledge the importance of Warner's work. Some guys make a career out of reinventing wheels.

If Miller has significantly contributed to blue crab science, it must have happened very recently, because as of a few years ago he clearly lacked a complete grasp on the issue. The presentation he gave at the mechanicsville meeting about targets and thresholds nonchalantly proposed unprecedented high levels of fishing mortality. When I asked him what other crustacean fishery had sustained that level of mortality, he was buffoonishly offended, didn't answer my question, and suggested I didn't understand his graphs, which were purely theoretical and inherently flawed.

FWIW, I thought the state made a bad decision to put Miller in front of all those watermen, because he literally bamboozled the audience with his theoretical bullsheit. A guy like Miller only reconfirms what watermen already suspect about state mgmt.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love it that you think you are qualified to single handedly negate a man's entire career, not only that you also rendered it pointless.

There are alot of things I'd like to say but I'm reminded of a quote, author unknown (to me):

"talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish"

The only thing you are right about is that the blue crab population is suffering because of politics, there is plenty of science to show that we've been poor stewards.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Scott, as usual your reply comes ad hominem, without any specific knowledge of the subject, or of the specifics that caused me to form a negative opinion of Miller. I am clearly not qualified to "negate" Miller's career. Thats not what I was trying to do, contrary to your mischaracterization. But I am qualified to have an opinion about his target and threshold analysis, and about his attitude when questioned on his analysis. In that light I'll ask you to go back to my first reply on this thread. What problem has Miller solved? Its a simple question. If you're going to use a message board in the public domain to advertise your seminars, you ought to be prepared to deal with simple questions about the subjects and/or speakers.

My opinion of Miller is also based on something fairly straightforward. I simply wanted to know of another crustacean fishery where target fishing mortality at .7 (?) had worked. I asked the question because the target seemed very high. After three or four years since that pitch, we're still at or near the all time historic low.

One thing I've learned is not to waste my time trying to get the crab or oyster people to justify anything. Both fisheries are managed more like social welfare than wildlife management, and unfortunately fishery science appears to have a vested interest in prolonging these issues.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To anyone else who is interested in learning about crabs, I hope you can make it to the seminar on Wednesday at 130pm.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
just to recall, my initial reply: "I've seen Miller speak twice but it awhile back. Has Tom Miller solved any blue crab problems?"

Scott's rebuttal: "And Matt, that was a harsh statement dude."

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
The only way over-harvesting of bay resources will stop is when they're all gone................

It is bad science and bad economics to try and preserve "living history" (i.e. watermen lifestyle) at the expense of the future....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts