Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started out loading the boat at 1000AM for the ensuing adventure to the warm waters of Nc. After a truck load of tackle, andother truckload of food, and a couple hundred pounds of ice and bait Greg, his brother Matt, Jared, Bruce, and myself set out at 1245 under light winds and glassy conditions. We hauled out to almost the “b” tower when we saw gannets and frigates wheeling around a slick. We quickly put out a 4 rod spread on the heavy gear to try to get the marks up but nothing then we tried jigging and again nothing. So with the sun falling at a steady pace we picked up and ran once again. While I strated the squid rigging process greg graciously took the wheel and we had a riggin session in the cockpit till we were rigged and ready with some of the prettiest squid you’ve seen ( thanks Princess Anne ). A little after six we arrived at our spot and started to poke our heads around after a test drift we reset to better temps and put the full spread out. We didn’t wiat long first the squid showed immedatly then the two tones ripped them up and it got quiet for a few minutes…..only a few the tip rod screamed off and we got a hook up we faught it for a min and the hook pulled after the second run. Almost immedatly following that the balloon rod gets action. First a slash then he ate and ran wafter the intal hook up we started to settle in on the fight but the hook pulls again . This happened to yours truly again once more. The drags were light for swords but it just wasn’t our night. The genset started to struggle then auto shut down due to a high temp after we apparently sucked in a few dozen small jellyfish reducing the water flo. So while that was cooling and we were sitting around waiting and it happens, we got a SOLID HOOK UP bruce settles into the fight, we spin on him and I see it break the water and the glowstick fly off . Were on and he is stuck solid!!! We settle in to the fight and I start to give chase aggressively till we are close and then it happens….not a break off ….not a hook pull……. But we find out the size of what we have on ….. 400 pounds plus…and a blowhole we hooked a the dumbest friggin two tone in the atlantic. Jared touched the leader and it was an official release. The good news is after the release she threw the squid and the hook so he will rember what stupidity feels like. We made one more drift after the genset cooled and went on our way because the big blow was coming down on us at a quick pace. After a little bit of a sporty ride back we pulled into the slip under 25 kt winds and a lot of salt to clean off

Looks like the season will let us get into swords and other stuff when the striper gig gets to be too much we'll see what happends

Capt Mike

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was nice up intill the wind picked up ....That was the firs time that fishweather was off but then again it was only off by 5 hrs and the 43 ate it up so all and all it was just a little more time to eat some chicken and like we talked about we always can cruse in in the dark to calmer waters ...and that is what we did.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did my invite get lost in the mail? :)) I can't believe you hooked up on a dolphin, I guess the streak continues, huh? Between the 2 of us, neither one of us can catch a break lately. You trying to keep up with me on the genset problems??

I plan on being down for the weekend. Maybe try to chase a tuna again, if the weather holds out. Since i've already proven that I can't catch a decent striper even when they are right under the boat!!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will hook you up mike ... We figured the genset out but I poorly wrote it the genset is good to go just had to push the little guys out of the lines we were up and running right after our sea world experance LOL ...let me know whats up for this weekend and we'll get somthing goin.

Mike

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sea World experience..LOL..i like it!! Glad it was no big deal on your genny, unlike mine that shut itself off and refuses to even try to turn over now!! Oh well at least I can still go out, i'll just have to be cold!

We'll be down on the dock sometime friday, got to try to get some of that corrosion off from my little leaking experience. I'll talk to you later in the week. If you and the other Mike set something up for an overnite, let us know if you have room on the big boat.

-Mike

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike. At least you had a few shots on the swords. What temp and depth seemed best for you? Wx is shaping up good for the weekend all right. dave

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave the depth was around 1600 and the temps were no greater than 62....just have to watch for the Long lines their shallow but on the good side they are marked VERY well with radar reflectors and strobes If you need more info gimme a yell i'll give you a run down

Mike

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah well one issue was my wifey started it with the sea cock on the intake closed..but that was resolved rather quickly and it never overheated or shut off while the valve was closed..but about 2 hours or so later we noticed it got really cold and we realized it had shutdown. Tried to re-start but didn't even sound like it was turning, so I don't know. My guy is supposed to be looking at it this week, which probably means he'll look at in 2 weeks!! Hey no big deal, one more trip...one more thing broken..I don't think the trend is ever going to stop!

Think they will take it on trade for that 36FA they have at vb contender? :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got ya if he doesn't do anything let me know i'll take a look at it. There are a few tournys this weekend but the offshore thing might be a poss gimme a call and we'll figure somthing out

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Fish Dad, weekend weather looks OK at least for this time of year. What do you think about the GBFTs? Too hard to get to slow up for a snack? Monarch is still in the h2o

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Sorry no sword or GBFT love Mike! That is a trip hooking up a two toner........sometimes even the smart ones get stupid........must of been a male....

I would be interested in doing one of these trips Mike or Mike........if you got room and need a good ho let me know..............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts