Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share some pics for the love of the game and for other Giant dreamers. From 4 weeks ago off of Chatham. Maybe you heard but it was an epic bite that hasn't been seen since 1996. Giants showed up in force and live lining Cod and bluefish were the candy. a few fish caught were over 1000lb!
ps. pics from a friend of a friend - not me unfortunately on this trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Good a place as any to ask: can someone detail the procedure for preparing a GBFT to be sold as these guys clearly have? I know that the cavity gets stuffed with ice and something is done with the spinal cord...but I'd love to hear the full set of steps (ya never know).

·
Registered
629 Posts
For anyone wanting to sell BFT, the following pertains to the recreational permits:

Q: Is there a description of an HMS Angling category permit?
A: Yes, owners/operators of vessels fishing recreationally, even catch and release, for Atlantic HMS (sharks, swordfish, billfish, and tunas) in the Atlantic, including the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, must obtain an HMS Angling category permit. This permit is for recreational fishing only, no sale of catch is permitted. This permit allows a vessel to participate in registered recreational HMS fishing

You need a commercial permit to sell any BFT!

Also, there's a great *.pdf file available that gives all the details for properly killing a tuna. I have it somewhere and will find it if anyone wants the document, Let me know.
==============================
Jim
23' Grady White Gulfstream "Get Reel"
Ocean Pines, MD

·
Registered
629 Posts
Send me an email @ [email protected] if you want a copy of the *.pdf file and show the subject as "Killing a Tuna". Tried to post a link, but I guess Brandon killed it. In any case I found the doc on the drive.

Jim
Ocean Pines, MD

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I know you need a permit to sell a tuna. I want to know the procedure for processing one to be considered sushi grade, whether you sell it or not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you do a search there was something put up a few years back by one of our old members.
I don't know if the search function lets you go back that far though.

Try it in Google as well...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do a Google for "On Board Handling of Sashimi-Grade Tuna" published by SPC-CPS. It's an excellent guide to keeping tuna at its best.
Jim
Ocean Pines, MD

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is what I do when prepping a giant for selling.

Dart or Gaff in head (if possible- if not get it stuck somewhere- bad shot better than no shot)

Walk fish along side boat to calm it down.

begin bleeding it- i usually do this as it comes in the boat. Cut throat latch, cut behind pec fin. Stick a hose in its mouth to help flush it out.

I have pre made bags of ice to drape over the fish before this next part- to help with the cooling. If you tie the bags like a saddle across the fish it starts it chilling. I do this with 60 to 100 pounds of ice or so. I then take a saw and cut the gill plate off, and all of the gill rakers out. then cut a hole starting in the anal vent and three inches forward. Stick your fingers in and find the "veins" in there. There should be 3 of them. Snip them. You can then pull the stomach, organs and whole shooting match out the hole you made by removing the gills. Once the inside is cleaned out, pack the whole body cavity with ice. Place fish in a fish bag and pack all around with ice.

The ice used on an average giant is 3 to 400 pounds.

Only let one side of the fish touch the deck. I forgot, before Ice-ing the "upside" of the fish...Saw off the peck fin on the "upside" of the fish and layer the "upside" with rice paper.

Hope this shows some of what you are looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts