Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
They are not bad in ceviche..........Gary
Sorry, not eating raw fish EVER again. I used to mow through raw tuna right out of the water or danced across a flame until I contracted a tapeworm. Dunno where I got it, could have been in SE Asia or South America, but the doc seemed to think it was the sushi. Took me damn near 30 years before I touched tuna again and it was thoroughly cooked.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Sorry, not eating raw fish EVER again. I used to mow through raw tuna right out of the water or danced across a flame until I contracted a tapeworm. Dunno where I got it, could have been in SE Asia or South America, but the doc seemed to think it was the sushi. Took me damn near 30 years before I touched tuna again and it was thoroughly cooked.
I eat the **** out of sushi and never had a problem. Love it..........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
I eat the **** out of sushi and never had a problem. Love it..........Gary
I used to as well but having a metre long tapeworm rended from my hind parts put an end to all that, lol. I do have a good source for tuna. I want to find a school of Bonito for M and my niece to tangle with. They're not bad. I wanna pickle some, I really used to love that much to the chagrin of my house mates.

Reactions: crabby and son

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
831 Posts
Never had sushi but it sure is popular. The tv show How It’s Made had a segment on how they make it.
If you want to watch something cathartic, watch the Japanese cutting up those huge tuna. I'd love to have some of the steaks they cut out of those 100+ thousand dollar tuna

Reactions: Vietpimp999

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am not much on it myself. It's not the fish itself that bothers me. It's not knowing whether or not the surface it was prepared on was clean.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
It is best to freeze a piece of raw fish before you eat it raw as it kills any parasites it might have. I buy tuna and salmon from Safeway and make sushi rolls with it. Done it hundreds of times over the years and never got sick. I love raw oysters and clams too. There is some risk eating raw seafood though........Gary

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have no issue w/ raw fish, assuming it's been handled properly and as justintime said, the surfaces have been as well.

Interestingly enough, the top tier sushi pro's won't be buying fish from the Wicked Tuna types.
Americans aren't known for taking great care of their fish.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I remember going OC in early April and going on a headboat to catch mackerel. Used a rig that had several hooked tubes on it. Caught them two, three at a time. Must have been forty years ago. Don’t know what happened but the run died out just like the January cod fish trips in OC. I think they may have been Boston Mackerel. A lot of guys froze them to use for bluefish bait.
Of course everyone remembers Amos, Andy and the Kingfish enjoyed Holy Mackerel. Lol

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Believe it or not you can take a piece of fish that smells and has bacteria soak it in lemon juice for 5 minutes eat it and u will never get sick. Good sushi chef’s soke all there seafood that is iffy in it.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts