canned crushed tomatoes-enough to cover your filets
minced onion--dried
Montreal steak seasoning

place filets on aluminum foil-on grill

cover with crushed tomatoes

add some dried minced onion

shake on Montreal steak seasoning-use liberaly

grill till done!!

this recipe works with many types of fish-but it really works on well on bluefish

·
Registered
299 Posts
The other trick is to bleed them immediately after catching. If you go down to some websites from NcC, such as reddrumtackle or nc watermen, and ask the question, you will get several answers. I hear of grilling or smoking them often. The milk helps also. I don't eat them, so I wouldnt know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had smoked and it's great! Otherwise I just don't eat any over two days old. The smaller ones, at least, have a very mild flavor when fresh.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bluefish

Try, smoking them. Scale, gut and cut off the head. Left overs make a great dip for crackers.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Make sure you cut out ALL of the dark red meat along the lateral line.
That,skinning them and bleeding them like posted,and they taste alot like stripers.The dark meat & skin is the strong tasting meat.You'll waste some meat but the results are worth it.The cheeks are very good on the larger ones too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Simple recipe:

Cover the blue fillet with bacon and broil in oven until the bacon is crispy/done...the blue should also be done once the bacon is crispy. Enjoy!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used RJ's recipe (above) with the fish wrapped in foil on the grill...it turned out great. One modification I made was, since I didn't have crushed tomatoes, I put my favorite salsa on the fish while it cooked!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok here it is. The best kept bluefish recipe on the blue planet. Remove as much of the blood line as possible from fillets. Boil the fillets. Use the boiled fillets in place of crab meat in your favorite crabcake recipe. Im dead serious, you wont belive how authentic this is. Try it and tell me how you like it. We love em.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I Bleed Mine As Soon As I Catch It. Cut It Behind The Gill Plates And Bleed It Over The Side Of The Boat Or In A Seperate Container. Then I Keep Them Well Iced And Eat Them That Day Or The Next. Marinate Them In Olive Oil, Choped Garlic, Chopped Fresh Rosemary And A Splash Of Lime Or Limon For 30 Min.
Soak A Large Rosemary Sprig While The Fish Is Marinating Then Put It On The Coals Or Grill Rack While You Are Grilling The Fish. Close The Grill Lid To Get The Full Benifit Of The Rosemary Smoke.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Workin on a headboat, I get a lot of blues that people dont want becasue "they taste bad." Captains always make fun of me for takin them but all you need to do is..........
- catch a blue
- fillet
- Cut off a big piece of foil, fold in half so now its doubled. Fold up just a hair on hte edges to make a sort of wall
- Pour on some italian dressing, making sure you put some right on the sides of each fillet that touch the foil
- sprinkle on a little dry lemon pepper seasoning
- grill (either charcoal or gas makes no difference) until meat is flaky

the beauty of the grill is leaving on the skin. trust me i love this recipe and most people that have tried it turn out liking bluefish

·
Registered
18 Posts
Properly bled and iced--and eaten quickly -- bluefish is one of the tastiest fishes in the sea. It only tastes strong when it's begun to spoil, which happens fast. While the blue is alive, make some cuts in the gills and hold the fish by the tail in a bucket of water. Once bled, bury it in crushed ice for a few hours before fileting or cleaning. You'll want to eat your bluefish the day it was caught or the next day, and keep it buried in ice until you do.

My favorite bluefish recipes are:

1. Brush filets with olive oil, course sea salt, and pepper. Broil skin side up and serve with lemon wedges.

2. Dust filets with flour and pan-fry.

3. Marinate in a mixture of Kikkoman soy sauce, freshly squeezed lime juice, and brown sugar. Barbeque over charcoal.

4. Bluefish is excellent raw. Try an Italian "pesce crudo" preparation of cubed filets, course sea salt, pepper, toasted pine nuts, a drizzle of good olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. Try adding thinly sliced Serrano chilies for some kick.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Smoke um up!

I have been smoking big blues since the 1970's! This is what I do, and if you do this you will not be able to wait to smoke another one. Filet the blue and cut out all the dark meat on the back of the filet you possible can. Next; make up a cold water brine. I use either barbeque sauce, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Y ou can also use bottled sauce for fish the chinese use, in something sweet in flavor. I soak the filet's in the brine, immersed in water, covered, and refridgerated for 24 hours. I use a small electric smoker from Cabela's. I get smoking chips, misquete usually, and wrap them in two foil rolls with holes punched in them. I lay them right on the burner, and fire the smoker up. Next; make sure the pan above the foil has plenty of water in it, so the fish doesn't dry out. I take my bluefish out of the brine, dry them on paper towels, lay them on tin foil sprayed with Pam, and season them up with garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc. and whatever you may like. Sometimes I put bacon on top of the filets. I smoke them, depending on the thickness for 3 hours. Sometimes longer if the filets are very thick. I just smoked some 9 pounders for 4 hours. If that bluefish is not firm and flakey, then smoke the filet's some more. I think you'll enjoy this recipe for smoking. I learned it from the Eastern Shore folks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just wanted to mention I made bluefish cakes last night with fillets that have been frozen for 3 weeks. While I normally agree that fish should be eaten as soon as possible, you shouldnt feel like you have to throw them away if you dont. All I did was bleed them and put them on ice when caught and then filleted them at the dock. When I got home I cut out any remaining dark meat and then washed them, pat dry and double bagged them, getting as much air out as possible.

Like I said, 3 weeks later still fine, while I did make cakes with them, I eat some of the fillets straight out of the broiler, no seasoning or anything, and they were still good.

·
Registered
610 Posts
melt butter pour on one side then use blacken seasoning put in freezer for 2-5 minutes
then filp over and repeat while in hte freezer start the grill put a black iron skillet on it let it get reely hot put fish in skillet for 1-2 miutes per side your done and the wife does not yell about he smoke in the house

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree that smoking med blues or marinating in italian dressing and lots of black pepper on the grill is my favorite.

More importantly, bleed em out as soon as you catch em, gut em, and immediately put them on ice. What ever you do don't allow them to lay in the ice water in the cooler. Drain off the water periodically so the fish can't soak in the liquid. Not sure why but the water will ruin the fish quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the secret.... Gut and scale the blue, take a piece of foil big enough to wrap the fish, sprinkle a little lemon and salt inside the fish, stuff the fish with manure, wrap the foil around the fish, bake at 325 for 30 minutes, remove from oven, let cool a few minutes, scoop out the manure, throw away the fish and eat the manure... it tastes better than the blue!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts