Tidal Fish Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
no wonder your eyes are brown !!! Your full of sh*t !!

·
Registered
485 Posts
if you freeze blues its gotta be cakes. fresh, I love them on the grill. bleed them ASAP. I was taught to cut them around the tail to keep the heart pumping longer. works for me.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I didn't read all of the posts but here is what I do.

Fillet the fish and cut out all of the red meat.

Soak them in Italian Dressing for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Lay the fillets on a baking pan, sprinkle on some old bay spice, and bake it at 350 until flaky.

Simple enough.

If you freeze it put it in a vacuum back with 1/8 cup of Italian dressing. Even still I would much rather have fresh bluefish over frozen.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have to agree with RACN35 on that one. Bluefish is delicious. I always soak the fillets in buttermilk for about an hour and then grill it. To make it better for my wife I heat up orange juice and honey and glaze it on the fillets.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I love to experiment with cooking. Last year blues came up into the Elk River because of the salt line moving so far north. What a surprise, I caught bluefish every night for two weeks. So, after much experimenting, I'm sure this is a winner. Although it does take some work but its close to gourmet blue fish as one can get!

4 Bluefish
Cut off head and tail
Slice up the belly and take out the guts
grab bone and pull out all in one shot, it gets most of the bones, you have to really dig your fingers in to get it and it should yank out in one section

Cut up 2 celery stalks w/leaves into small dices
cut up 1/4 of a whole red pepper (diced)
cut up 1/4 of a sweet medium yellow onion and dice
chop 2 green onions and 2 garlic cloves
Place a pat of butter in a saute pan and saute all together for a few minutes
Add a pinch of salt, a few shakes of Nature Seasons, a few shakes of Dillweed and 1/2 tsp of tarragon to taste.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of Progresso italian breadcrums into the pan while sauteing the mixture
Add 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning
When mixture is soft, fill cavity of each bluefish
Take some creamy horseradish sauce and rub on outside of bluefish skin and also
on the bottom of the baking pan
Add a little more seafood seasoning to the outside of the bluefish
Bake pre preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes
Serve with a white wine and a vegetable

Its excellent.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
pile all that "stuff" on a paper towel and you could eat the paper towel and call it mahi for that matter.......EVOO and a pinch of kosher salt is all you need on any fish if you really wanna taste it

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here is my way. You will like it.
1. Put filets in buttermilk overnight in fridge.
2. Take out and drain. You can wash with water if you like.
3. Put eggs in bowl and stir.
4. Take your French's Mustard and put a real good squirt into the egg.
5. Stir well.
6. Take fish and dip into egg mixture.
7. Roll in House-Autry fish breader mix. Fry until golden brown.
This works for Bluefish and Spanish Macks. You will like it. Guaranteed!!!!!!!
LBubba

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bluefish are excellent.....but......you must fillet, skin and then cut out the dark red blood line. If you do that, you will come up with two very nice sections of the fillet. Forget about freezing them, catch only what you will cook that night/day. I like to cut them into chunks, little egg wash or olive oil, Italian Bread crumbs and fry.

Smoked Bluefish fillets are great as well. Same fillet, skin, and cut the blood line out scenario, then smoke them. I like the smoked fillets when they are a little dried out on the edges and crunchy. Great just the way smoked fish is or, mix up some mayo and whipped cream cheese with crumbled up smoked Blues and you have some great eating.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have tried eating Bluefish every way imaginable and I only tolerate it with lots of lemon juice!

Then I tried a new way. A lot of the trick is as mentioned. Take good care of the fish when caught.
Bleed it and put on ice immediately. As soon as you can filet the fish and cut out the dark red meat and the fatty belly meat and discard.
In a Pyrex baking dish lay the filets on pats of butter. Then put a little water, white wine and lemon juice in the dish.
Sprinkle filets lightly with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Poach at 350 degrees until done.
Carefully remove filets from pan and then sprinkle lightly (a little goes a long way) with McCormicks Chesapeake Seafood Seasoning.
Serve with lemon wedges. Fast, simple and does not taste like Bluefish at all! It tastes like fish with a Maryland twist.

If you give this a try please post back what you think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried some fresh blues grilled in a tequilla lime civiche sauce and they were great! I usually use this recipe for mahi, but it did well with blues.
you can find a recipe online:
A little orange juice, little juice from a lemon and a lime (or two), a couple shots of tequilla (save the patron for drinking), and a little brown sugar. Marinade the fish in this mix for about 30 minutes and grill. While your grilling the fish, reduce the marinade until it makes a delicious sauce that you can drizzle over the fish.

A true civiche should "cook" the fish over a couple hours using the acidity, and without any heat, but I'm not quite that brave yet.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For what its worth my recipe for smoked Blue using cold smoker I leave skin on if under 5# - make a brine soy sauce ,brown sugar water , some salt , bl pepper brine should be fairly salty to taste but also a little sweet put in brine for 24 hrs stir at 12 hrs so all peices are covered COLD SMOKE FOR 3-4 HRS then finish in oven 250 10 minutes let cool store in air tight container keep dry will last for 2 weeks Late summer fish have a higher fat content and are the best!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I make a mixture of mayo and old bay and be generous with the old bay. Spread a good amount over the filet, after you have removed the bloodline of course, then bake till flakey and the mayo mix begins to brown. Suprised no one else has mentioned this yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a simple "clamshell type" grilling device. For 1-2.5 lb. blue, behead and gut after scaleing. Wash in cold water and dry.Score the fish with a sharp knife about 3 times on each side. sprinkle with lemon juice, the rub lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the cooking basket and cook over hot coals about 3 min. on each side or until skin begins to char. Move to a section of the grill with no coals directly underneath for a few minutes, preferably covered. Bluefish and mackeral are delicious this way.

I also dislike bluefish after it is frozen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put the fillets in a zip lock bag with milk, salt, pepper and put in fridge for a few hours. Just coat with your favorite dry mix and pan fry. I've always gotten great reviews for them this way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Clean fish as you normally would. Steam fish in skin. After done pick white meat out and roll in lettuce with ginger, onions, peppers,rice and what ever else you like. Add whatever sauce you like like tobascco, lemon juice, old Bay, tarter sause. Fish will be light, clean and no hard taste or oil. Its more like a small wrap. Slice whatever vegetables you like and throw it on the fish. Make the wraps very small so you can change what you put on it each time. Easy and quick. I like to use the smaller blue fish 1-2 pounds in size. You can us the larger ones if you like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bluefish can be very good table fare if you take care of the fish when caught Bleed them if you can and then put on ice. The fish will cook if left in the sun!
Only keep small ones. The big ones have an even stronger flavor. After you get the fish home: Filet the sides off without skin and leave the belly meat with the carcass. Now cut out the dark meat on the filets by the lateral line. You should have two filets per side. Filet the filets so you will now have four filets per side; each about 1/2 inch thick.
Poach the filets in a shallow pan of water for just a few minutes. Now you can do what you want with the fish in any recipe you choose. The filets will not taste like Bluefish.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts