Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info would be great. I have been togg'in for 2-3 years and was hoping a 23' center console could make it to fish for this recently found fishery. I see lots of posts and records and do not see any of the nitty gritty. I am hoping it is not really that much of a secret or scarcity. Have not posted in a while because I could not get back on the site for some time without pulling my hair out! Maybe thats why (ha ha). I have missed the tips and pics. Back in the helm again.

roy

fishing Sanitore, Cape Henry, tower reef out of oc Tue 6 am

lotsapasta mting 68

astalapastabaybabie

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Well if you aint got no problem starting to look for fish at 60 miles out... Go for it. Run out look for 275-350 feet of water drop a line and start drifting. Drop a bottom rig with a bunch of weight and squid or cutbait for bait. When you catch a fish return to the exact spot where you caught it and repeat process until no more fish. Repeat this process over and over. Its like fishing for spot in really deep water. There are fish strung out along the 50 fathom line from the keys all the way to connecticut.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
What Jake said. Here are my thoughts although my experience is very limited. Start at 50 fathoms. It's a long run out of Virginia no doubt, shorter out of OI and even shorter out of HI but I think the tiles are smaller in OI and HI. Zoom in on the bottom of your fishfinder. You are looking for sharp peaks and valleys...not flat. And you want there to be fish marks around those peaks and valleys. Start looking in areas where there are mounds or rounded contours looking like a hilltop or something. Basically, what you are looking for is a hard, rocky bottom, not smooth sandy. If you think you are in a good area, have an angler drop a weight down. He should be able to tell by the way the sinker is bouncing whether it's hard or soft. If it's soft and the sinker sticks, move on. A good tile area will produce bites within a minute of being in the right place. If you bring up a tile, drop a waypoint and now you own yourself your very own verified tile number. Do not publish this number anywhere on the internet unless you want that area stripped of all tiles next time you go there. They do not migrate. Any cut bait will work but fat alberts or fresh bluefish strips work great. I also tried Ken Neil's tip....take a kitchen sponge and cut it into 1 inch squares and soak in a tupperware container of menhaden oil. The oil is messy but it works and even stays on the hook better. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts