Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the Severn now for about 7 years. I always look forward to the fall rock fishing. But this year, is realllllllllly frustrating. We have caught some rock, but all under 18 inches so far and the bite has been slow. I have never seen the river so full of bait fish and blues since I have been fishing. We fished yesterday morning early...nothing but a few blues. I am thinking until the water temps drop enough to run these blues out of the river, the rockfishing will be slow. Are others seeing the same or have I just lost my fishing mojo?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Flyguy - I feel your pain. I've been out a few times over the last week and haven't managed anything over 19 inches. We went out Sat. morning and got a few 16-18 inch rock early, but ended up catching blues, white perch, and small rock the rest of the day. At least we were catching, but I'm really looking for the 20-24 inch + grade of rock that some guys have been able to find (with secret lures at secret locations :D)

Just gotta keep at it I guess..:fishing2: Cooler water temps should help too...

-Rob

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Try catching some small Spot or Menhadden and liveline them near bulkheads/riprap/drop offs/etc. The Rock are close to the baitfish and feeding heavily.This week has a full moon (14th) and that means alot of Rock will be feeding at night.Best time will be from 6-7 am.Once the sun comes up- the Rock will be much tougher to catch on lures since they have a full belly.A live bait dropped in front of them might tempt them into hitting.

You can also cast GENTLY - very,very gently an unweighted live Spot and retrieve it super slow - sorta like a live lure :thumbup:.You only get 4-5 casts from a Spot before you need a new one.If Rock are around-they will hit it.If the Spot gets hit by a Blue-let the remaining part sink for about one minute.Sometimes a Rock will pick up the head/shoulder of a bitten Spot.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I saw the same thing this Saturday evening. Bait fish everywhere and my plastics were getting chomped in half by bluefish. I did manage to catch one nice size bluefish and a couple dink stripers. Hopefully, like you said once the water temps drop then the blues will leave the river and the striper bite will really turn on.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Flyguy, what are you throwing at them? I've been tossing clousers, 1/0 and 3/0, with the 3/O being very large with big eyes (a real bi#ch w/my 8WT).

My old faithful is an olive/white w/other shiny, flashy ****. The blues have torn up several of my flies, but I have been lucky in terms of those numbers. I curse those bastards.

Keep at it up there.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I can attest to what Skip said about the slow retrieve on the Spot. I had one that had swam down and seemed like he was in the strike zone according to the sonar for a couple of minutes but he wasn't even getting nervous. Reeled him back in slowly and I was glad I had my polarized glasses on. I witnessed one of the 21.5 ichers I caught yesterday fly up from below and hit him hard about 2 feet from the surface. It was pretty awesome to see!!! He must have flashed a little in the bright sunlight on the retrieve and that was all the Rock needed to see!

Also, when you see the Blues hitting bait on top try jigging a bucktail or BKD on the bottom below the boiling water. Often there are bigger lazy Rock sitting down low picking up the sinking scaps.

Mark

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys....I broke out the pocket fishermen, bobbers and worms today...going back to basics. Greg, I have been throwing small clousers to try and match the bait I have seeing....I think I will try a bigger fly later this week.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Let me just tell y'all, I went out on charter trip today with my company....we trolled all afternoon and caught 47 blues and ZERO rock....most blues were bigger than I've seen in years and loads of fun to catch, but if you think they are bad in the river you should see what its like out in big water....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts