Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The crew today was Bing (Buddabud) and Joe (Chalkbored). I checked the NOAA bay forecast this morning before leaving and they posted a Small Craft Warning until 11AM. The other sites I check had a slightly different story so there was no change in plans.

Bing and I stopped by Marty's this morning for bloodworms and found Joe in there leaving some of his money with Jim which is a good thing. We all went to the marina and got underway. There weren't any birds working this morning but I did stop at a point an try casting to see if any rockfish were home. No luck there so I headed to the spot spot and found Capt. John Deering on the Shady Lady getting spot there too.

After getting spot I headed over to Gum Thickets in about a 1 - 2' chop and anchored up in 39' of water. The meter did not show many fish right away so we put over some spot. The pickens were slow for awhile and a few charters picked up and left. That is never a good sign. We had a couple of spot bit in half but not a lot of action. After about 45 minutes that changed. Schools of fish started showing up on the meter. At that point I started jigging and so did the others.

Joe and Bing tried stingsilvers and bucktails and did not have much success with them. I went to the Zulu and started getting bit much more frequently. With fish on the meter the Zulu out produced live spot 5 to 1. Bing had done some jigging before so once he had the Zulu on he figured it out real quick. Joe had never jigged before so I spent some time showing how to rig the rod, the Zulu and helping him refine his technique. He started working the jig and was getting bit.

Now is where the bluefish got their revenge. I was taking one off the hook and evidently looked away for a minute and the damn thing sunk its teeth in my finger. Words came out of my mouth and he would not let go. I was amazed at how much biting pressure they can exert. My concern was that he was going to take a quarter sized chunk out of the tip if my finger. Finally someone got the pliers in his mouth and pried it open. I left a lot of bright red blood on the deck. I cleaned the bite out, put some anticeptic and a bandage on it and we continued to fish.

I was eating a sandwich and watching the meter. On my Furuno 585 I could watch Joe's jig on the screen and the fish coming through. A couple of times the jig and the fish were at the same spot and I thought he should be hooked up. When I looked back the rod was bent. That was pretty cool.

We probably caught well over a 100 fish today. It was a good day and I started back about 3PM to the Rhode on calmer seas.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
OUCH - a really twisted man would have bitten the Blue's head off :D. Nothing wrong with 100 fish in a day -WOW :clap:. Cool they prefer a lure over a live Spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jerry -

Thanks so much for the invite. I really did learn alot today, from the knot tying leasons to the jigging tips:yes:

Today was the best trip I have had all year:clap:

Most of all, thanks for not telling everyone how I stepped on your favorite rod and broke it in two.....:thumbup:

Joe ( Chalkbored)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
hey jerry, today it was just ok. 2 hours to catch bait, then headed east. fish were small (all blues) and not as frequent as my trip saturady. moved the boat twice. had all the smaller size blues we wanted. in fact, many we caught as many jigging as we did with spot, with spot on the bottom and suspended.

problem today was i had to anchor, i'm a drifter..........no comments echo.

went to eb and caught small blues along the rip on popular.

BE CAREFUL............two sets of rogue rocks on the NE corner of popular. about 50 off the rip rap. i forgot they were there. looked like a school of skate.

headed out to r84, got the glasses out........nada. went to the barn at 4pm.

see ya

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Damn John,Not like last week!I'll be out tomorrow,are you?I'll give ya' a hollar if I find anything.My cell is [443-904-0917] [Mike]

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Sounds like y'all had a good day....its a lot of fun when u get action like that.
Told ya them things could bite.....glad you still got flesh on that finger.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Jerry, Sorry to hear about your finger. I may get a chance to get out on Monday. I hope to see you on the water then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks for taking me out. Had a blast jigging that Zulu. They work awesome on the blues! Yeah, that little commie bast%#d had your fingertip tight. I might start keeping a wooden wedge in the pocket in case it ever happens again. We got em back though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts