Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday night (at 8:34) I decided to get the boat in the water and run to Urbanna for dinner at the Boathouse with my Brother IL.

Barely got on the plane and lined up to pass a boat to starboard heading my way when the blue light came on. Uh oh. First trip out, wonder if I have my registration and other stuff.

The guys from Station Milford Haven must have picked the far reaches of the Western branch out on their plotter and said "Gee, I wonder what is up there?" 5 Coasties on a 42 or 46 foot aluminium patrol boat.

I shut down and it took a few minutes for them to come along side of me. No fenders of course, and mine were still in the shed.

Boarded by 2 guys and go all the questions asked. "Any weapons on board?" was the top asked question.

It seemed to take around 15 minutes for one of the crew on their boat to tap all my boat and personal info into a PDA, (with a stylus, no less) and hook up to printer to give me a boarding report, no violations.

I was told that I was the only boat they had seen all night and they seemed happy to have someone to pull over. The check went fine, however I wish they had used their plotter and radar to look for the day markers in the corrotoman instead of lighting up my wheel house with a gazillion candle power spotlight on the way down the river.

I went to Urbanna and had a burger and couple of beers and a good trip back with a full moon.

I've seen smaller CG and VMRC boats that far up the Corr. before, but first time the I've seen the big guys up that far before.

Anyone else seen them this year? I've got my report to hopefully expedite the next boarding. [grin]

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The Coasties have been up in the piankatank almost to the freshwater line on a regular basis lately. They were even up there around 10:30 PM this last saturday. Must be really bored, or afraid of the chop out in the Bay.

--John

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting they would head up the Piank. that far as well. Seems like the bay would have plenty of opportunity for training with ship traffic.

Guess we need to protect the upper tributaries from terrorists as well. [grin]

Make sure you check those flare expiration dates.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
freshwater is the power lines just beyond deep point. I never thought about it until this spring and realised half the time I was fishing last year, I didn't have the right license. I'm glad the man never bugged me when I went that direction because the rockfish were biting good up that way last fall.

--John

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[Q]Boomerang originally wrote:
The flares were in date but they check the date on those Heineken's in your cooler leftover from last fall?
[/Q]

HA!! Yeah, but they were kind of skunky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What did you have on your burger?
[grin]
I'm really looking forward to the first family trip of the year tomorrow, hopefully won't have to deal with all that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts